Would you rather look online for medical advice or see a doctor?

Damon

I'm someone who is very stubborn, to the point that I don't like going to the doctors. The last time I did, was probably 2 years ago by now. I got my covid shot at a drug store, so I don't really count that. But before it, was probably 2 years. Anyway, I always look online if I have any health issues. Probably a dumb thing to do, but I'm alive still lol. 

But, I know seeing a doctor often is probably best for me. I'm also not getting any younger. 

Anyway, what is your preference? Do you prefer to see a doctor in person? Or do you get tips online? 

• Like 1

I am not a big fan of western medicine and try to stay away from the doctor. I have to be unable to get out of bed or have something really wrong going on to get me into the docs office. 

I do not really research much online either as I know that just leads to freaking me out about all these rare things that may be wrong with me. I typically just rest for a couple days and whatever it is will go away. 

Telemedicine is getting pretty big where you can just consult with the doctor via a zoom call. That is pretty nice for quick things where you know you just need some antibiotics or something to get through. 

You are not alone in not wanting to go to the doctors. I am with you. I really do not trust them and everyone I know that goes to the doctors on a regular basis seems to have to take a lot of pills. I do not take any pills and do not want that getting added to the routine. 

Over the last couple years I have been trying to tackle health with getting plenty of active heart minutes every week and eating a natural diet. I am hoping that can get me pretty far. 

• Like 1

I am like James. I don't like the approach many doctors take in the US. I opt to find ones that are knowledge in both standard medical care as well as homeopathic. It is hard to do though! This is especially true with dentists! I like to try and figure out what is wrong and try to correct it myself. If I can't and it is really interfering with my life, I will do to a doctor. I had a kidney stone a few years ago, the first one I ever had. Right away I thought "this has to be a kidney stone" based on what my brother has said when he has gotten them. I tried to wait it out. I spent nearly 3 days in pain and couldn't sleep more than 40 minutes at a time. I finally gave in and went to the ER. I was right. I was given a prescription to stop the spasms and help it get out easier as well as a prescription strength IB-profen,. 

I think doctors are wondering and it is great having them when they are needed but people rely on them too much!

• Like 1

I am horrible when it comes to googling stuff. Anytime I feel something or think I might have something, I search it and almost every time google tells me I have some form of cancer or incurable disease. I freak out for a few days and then forget about it because I feel better again. lol

• Like 1

I see nothing wrong with getting a general idea of what could be going on but you can't rely on Google. 

I think it is best that if you are having severe issues, to just get looked at by a doctor. Even if you go, you do not have to accept their treatment. You can ask for other options or get a second opinion. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well,  would check online for general advice and see what others have gone through. Also, i would read reputable website for advice and discussion around the issue. But i will never take a prescription online. For treatment or management plan for the illness, i'd rather get from a physical doctor that i can hold accountable for the advice s/he gives me. 

• Like 1