What is your oral health routine?

Ella

I have been having tooth issues for the last 7 years now after not having many at all previously. Actually, when I was in my late teens and early 20's, I didn't do much to take care of my teeth and they were really healthy. It wasn't until I was about 26 did I start noticing issues. I had the only 2 fillings I ever had fall out and decay set in. I was without insurance and finally have it so I want to go in and get everything fixed. I have at least 2 teeth that will have to be pulled (one broke off at the gum line and the other is a wisdom tooth that is pushing my other teeth over. Another tooth, which I am hoping can be saved, will need to be filled and a crown put on it. Then I have at least 3 minor cavities that will need to be fixed. What a mess! 

I want to find a better oral health routine for myself. Right now I brush twice a day and use floss every few days (my gums bleed so I like to give them a break). I am considering oil pulling and salt water rinses. Someone told me to get a water pick or whatever those things are called but I am not sure how to use that.

I have had a ton of cavities in my life so likely not the most authoritative person on this topic. 

I brush in the morning during my shower and in the evening before bed. I also use my water pick 3 days a week during the morning brushing. I think I am doing alright but I have not been to a dentist in years. I typically only go when I am in pain. So I guess its good I have not been. 

I do not enjoy to floss and much prefer using the water pick to take care of keeping things out of between the teeth and keeping the gum line where it is supposed to be. 

I brush morning and night, I do not floss. Instead of flossing, I will switch warm water and a pinch of salt in my mouth after eating. I think dental health has more to do with nutrition than actual brushing if you ask me. I have always done things right and still got cavities whereas my brother never had a single one, not a damn one! It makes me mad! LOL

• Like 1

I have always had pretty good teeth, even straight teeth, without ever needing braces. My younger brother on the other hand has had terrible teeth even though we ate the same diet growing up. One thing that was different between us is that my mother breastfed me, he was not breastfed but on formula. Not sure the reasoning there but I have been told by doctors that breast milk > formula for healthy bones and teeth into adulthood. 

• Like 1

I brush in the AM and PM and floss every few days. I have gums that bleed so I don't like to do this daily. I try to rinse out my mouth with water after eating certain foods best I can as well. I don't have the greatest teeth. I need to get some things done to them sooner rather than later but I am thankful I am not in a lot of pain!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, EagleEye said:

One of the most simplest things I did that really improved my overall oral hygiene was to brush my teeth in the night. I always only brushed them in the morning.

Wanted to say this as well. Real game changer, I can't believe I hadn't done it previously.

• Like 1