Thoughts on soy?

Stacey

I always vied soy and soy-based products to generally be bad for most people. That is like going gluten-free. It is good for some people but not good for most. I feel like this fad with soy is being a bit carried away though now with people like Bill Gates saying we should all be eating it instead of meat. He has no plans to become a vegetarian or vegan, mind you. That just gives me all the more reason not to trust it. It screws up hormones big time and men who drink or eat soy-based products on a regular basis lower their testosterone so low, they basically sterilize themselves.  

• Like 1

I think natural soy is fine but you don't want to overeat it or use it. A lot of people in the West are actually allergic to soy. Some have very mild reactions so they don't even realize it. The soy that tends to cause issues with hormones is the cheap, overpriced junk that is imported to the US. 

• Like 2

I view it like I view corn. I think in moderation it is fine but you have to be careful when it becomes an ingredient. High fructose corn syrup for example is said to be one of the leading causes of diabetes. Corn itself won't do much damage but as an oil, it can. 

• Like 2

My wife is extremely allergic to soy according to one of those allergy tests the Drs give. So she trys to avoid it. You find it in a ton of processed foods which are foods we should stay away from anyways. 

I myself do not worry to much about it. Although I do know I always feel better when we are eating more fresh home prepared foods then eating processed packaged foods. 

• Like 1

Yeah it being an allergy is becoming more apparent for people in the US. While some will get bad reactions like some do from peanut or seafood allergies, most do have mild reactions that do go unnoticed. I have heard of it causing everything from hair loss to rosacea. I think this is the case for a lot of mild allergies though so if you notice something off with your body, an elimination diet is probably key to finding out the root cause. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like those from Asian heritage (Korean, Japanese, Chinese) handle soy way better than other races. I am not sure why this is but I would imagine it is down to them eating it for centuries. I always say it is best to figure out your heritage and eat according to how your family would have 100 years ago.