Creating a site like instagram?

Sophia

I had thought of this for awhile now but haven't actually looking into any options. I love the concept of having an online photo album and I think it would be cool to have a site where it is theme-specific. So not just pictures of anything but actually having a niche. I won't go into too much detail with my idea just yet but do you think this is something that could work? I am not looking to become rich off of it but more or less doing it as a side hobby and for other people to enjoy. It will supplement my blog in a way.

• Like 1

Creating a site like instagram would be cool, but idk if it's as easy as you'd think. Instagram is already huge, and then you got the likes of TikTok and Facebook also doing similar things (Reels and such, but facebook owns Instagram, so it's much the same). 

I think it could work, but your niche needs to be open, and be popular enough to warrant it. Because if it's a small niche, it probably won't gain much of a popularity. Does that make sense? 

• Like 1

What are your goals? If it is just to be a smaller scale online platform like a forum, then go for it. You are very unlikely to reach the levels of Instagram, especially being niche focused. Are you going to pay for software to be developed or are you paying for some?

• Like 1

I feel like with Instagram, it's hard to replicate and do as good, same with tiktok, because they pretty much have established themselves as the ones to go to. You could create a service based around a niche, but who knows if that will work when you could just do the niche on instagram of tiktok. But, I say give it a shot and see how it goes. 

• Like 1

I say go for it. If it is just a hobby or passion project, there is nothing wrong with that. Don't let the social network giants scare you. There are plenty of social platforms online that have thousands of people on them. I find that the smaller ones have more of a community and closeness anyway. 

• Like 1