Do you find online dating to be somewhat dangerous?

Brenden

I'm curious about your thoughts on online dating, and whether you feel it's dangerous or not. Do you find online dating to be a bit too dangerous these days? Or do you think there are enough safety nets in place? In reality, it comes down to you and whether you decide to meet anyone you talk to online. But, have you ever had a dangerous experience with online dating? If so, please talk about it here. 

• Like 1

There will always be risk in meeting strangers. A majority of the world is good so hopefully it is safe but I would be on high alert if I was meeting strangers often. 

Luckily I have never had to use a dating app of any kind. Looking forward to seeing what other people have to say on this topic. 

I guess this depends on how you approach it. If you are going to do any sort of online dating, you take it slow and keep personal details private. I would go as far to see that you agree with the other person that you both present background checks if you feel it is necessary. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is more dangerous for women than it is for men in several regards so you have to approach it in safe manner. Never give our personal details for one. I have a friend who uses dating apps and she uses an alias name. When she feels she can trust someone enough, then she tells them her real name. She is honest about this upfront though and tells the guys she talks to she is using a fake name. 

• Like 1

I feel like any type of dating is dangerous, even in person meeting at the bars or clubs. With the internet though, there's a bit more risk as you don't always know who it is you're talking with. They could be catfishes' and lie about their looks and age. Or, someone could be a potential murderer, but I have a feeling it's pretty rare to find really awful people doing online dating. There's always going to be the bad guys, that's a given. 

• Like 1

There is for sure risk with online dating, because it's so easy to pretend to be someone else. So many people do it, and it's not always easy to tell. Usually when something is too good to be true, then it's probably not the real person. Just watch the show Catfish and you'll see what I mean. So many people lie on the internet. At least meeting people in person, you can see them face to face, you know at least who you're speaking to. Unless of course they lie about their name and who they are, but I feel like with online dating it's far worse. 

But, the beauty in online dating, is that you can also just ignore those people and never have to deal with them again. But still, there the pros and cons of it, just like anything else out there. 

• Like 1

As a woman, I feel it can be pretty dangerous. 

On 11/15/2021 at 7:36 PM, Sophia said:

I think it is more dangerous for women than it is for men in several regards so you have to approach it in safe manner. Never give our personal details for one. I have a friend who uses dating apps and she uses an alias name. When she feels she can trust someone enough, then she tells them her real name. She is honest about this upfront though and tells the guys she talks to she is using a fake name. 

I think this is a good approach more women need to take. You don't have to lead on with a lie, you can tell the guy you are using an alias from the start and just build up the trust first. 

• Like 1