How often do you go to the doctors?

Stacey

I am not sure if this stands true or not but I heard several people claim that the more you go to the doctor in the US, the unhealthier you will become over time. I am sure this is true in some cases as many will have a problem diagnosed and be given a pill for it. Then the pill will cause another issue that the person will then need to take a pill for. The cycle carries on from there. 

I have only gone to the doctor 3 times in the last 10 years. One of those times was for a standard female checkup and the other two were considered emergencies (due to pain, one was a kidney stone and the other was from whiplash from being in a car accident). I don't go unless I really need to and I would prefer to try diet changes and exercise to correct and issue first rather than taking a pill. That is just me though!

• Like 1

In my adult life (ages 18 - 37) I have likely gone to the general doctor 7 or 8 times. I typically show up there if I have been sick for a few weeks and I feel my only chance of recovery is with antibiotics. Or when my kids are in preschool and kindergarten I seem to get pink eye quite a bit which you need the prescription eye drops to get that taken care of. 

Last time we moved I promised the wife I would go in for a general checkup so I did that but have not yet returned. 

I do go to the eye doctor once a year and the dentist every 3 years or so. 

I think living a healthy lifestyle with proper diet and exercise goes a really long ways. 

I also do not like Drs telling me about the unhealthy things I already do and do not want to change (like vaping). 

I try to go every other year or when I start to feel problems come up that weren't there before. For example, my tooth currently is bothering me, so I need to make a dentist appointment. I haven't been to a dentist in years, but I feel like I don't need to as long as I properly take care of my teeth. I do take care of them, but sometimes problems come up and you have to go see a doctor. 

I'm getting older though and I do need to start thinking about my health. 

• Like 1

I go when I have to. I think if you are over the age of 50, you should go at least once a year for a check-up just so if something is up, you can be able to correct it before it becomes an issue that requires lifelong medication or surgery. 

• Like 1