Playing the victim?

Mila

I know someone who does this all the time. Anytime things don't go her way, she puts it on herself and acts like she is the victim in every situation as if her own life choices were not her responsibility. It is annoying but I do want to help her see what she is doing and work past it. Is there a way to do this without her getting angry or upset with me?

• Like 1

I know several people who do this online and a few in my family as well. I don't know why people get into this mindset but it is hard to shake them from it. I think self-value and having a purpose needs to come into play but they need to want that for themselves. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I know several people who do this online and a few in my family as well. I don't know why people get into this mindset but it is hard to shake them from it. I think self-value and having a purpose needs to come into play but they need to want that for themselves. 

You can find someone on almost every site these days who does this. I feel like it is easier to do it online thanks to virtue signaling and playing whatever card you have to get attention. It is sad people do this stuff!

• Like 3

A lot of people do this today. I noticed it getting worse and worse. I think this is down to how people are raised. If they are raised by people who instill this kind of mindset in them, they will bring it into adulthood and struggle with it. 

• Like 2

Dealing with people like this can be challenging. In our household we talk to our kids all the time about taking responsibility for the choices they make. Everything is a choice even doing nothing is a choice. 

So teaching people to be accountable will help prevent them from playing the victim card. 

When we hear it come out we tell them not to be a victim and to own the situation. 

Dealing with people that behave like the everything is against them and nothing is there fault is extremely frustrating. Surrounding yourself with people that consistently blame anyone but themselves for situations can be dangerous. 

If you are able to poke holes in their theory maybe you can get someone to see the otherside. People need to understand they are where they are because of the choices that they have made over the course of time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James said:

So teaching people to be accountable will help prevent them from playing the victim card. 

It is so simple but so many people do not want this. They don't want to hear it and they will call you every name under the sun just to avoid taking accountability with their lives and actions. It is sad. I am glad you are raising your children to not be in this mindset. Such a small thing but parents who do this are doing the future a HUGE favor. We need more critical thinkers and less emotionally unstable people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleEye said:

This is a very easy mindset to get into as well, even without their own will. Depending on who you hang around with as well.

Yes it is. I find it amazing when you get talking to people and they get into their problems. You listen but somehow when they explain their problems there's always a reason why its a problem and it typically is never their fault. When in reality regardless of the situation we are in it was our choices that brought us there.