Can eating a lot of fruit make you gain weight?

Sophia

I wanted to start eating more fruit because I feel like I don't get enough vitamin C. So I started buying oranges, kiwis, and grapes. I want to make a habit of eating some of each every day. I am worried though that all this sugar can lead to weight gain. Does anyone know if eating a lot of fruit can do this?

• Like 1

I think you would have to eat A LOT of it for it to matter. What you mentioned won't cut it. I think oranges are around 80 to 100 calories, a standard kiwi is 70 calories, and grapes are usually about 100 calories for a cup. Say you eat all three of those things every day, that is something like 270 calories. Assuming you are not adding this onto what you already eat, you won't gain weight from it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carson said:

Honestly, you probably don't need fruit as much as you'd think. Eating leafy greens and veggies is probably the way to go. Keep in mind that a lot of fruit can have high amounts of sugar. So eating too much can be bad, just like eating too much of one thing. 

This is very true. I find myself though when I want to munch on something looking for packaged sweet food or bread. When I have fresh fruit available to me I will go to that to satiate my sweet desires. The lesser of two evils and is 100% natural so we know our bodies no how to efficiently process it. 

I do agree more greens and veggies is the way to go. They just do not satiate that sweet tooth I have in the same way. 

I mean dried fruit can do this but you can consume a lot of this in one sitting and it is much higher in sugar. I don't think I have known anyone to gain weight from eating too much fruit. Some claim bananas can cause weight gain but that is all I have ever seen people at gyms eating and they are fit people lol

• Like 1