Manufactured Homes

Scarlett

Anyone have any experience with these? 

I was looking into pricing on them and you can get a nice looking house built for around 100k. I know you pay for the land, obviously. I am wondering what other costs go into this. If they build it and hook it all up, what other costs outside of buying land to put it on do you have to consider? I was thinking about this as an option for my first home which I could later rent out or sell when I am ready to upgrade. 

• Like 1

Aren't these basically just trailer homes? Like the kinds of homes you would find in a trailer park? If so, I have been in some. Never lived in them. They can be really nice but I have to wonder about the foundation and what not. And the house itself. It can't be as sturdy!  

• Like 1

Other costs you are going to face with your manufactured home. 

Yes you have the home and the land those are obvious. 

Next you need to think about prepping the land for install and install on the land. 

Do you have utilities run to the property? Do you have city water or will you need a well? Do you have city sewer or will need a sceptic tank? Do you have city power or will you need to generate power in some other way? 

Does the area you are installing the home are there zoning restrictions on how you can use the land? Will permits need to be pulled for install? 

Answering the above questions should get you closer to the total cost of the project. 

Based on what my friend and her husband did, you want to find a lot where a house used to be. This means there will be plumbing and access to all of the utilities already there which will save you thousands of dollars. I would say if you can find this kind of lot and you don't plan on doing a basement but just a basic slab foundation, you can get away with the cost of the lot, the house, and 20k on top of it. If you want a basement, add another 35k to that 20k. So a 150k house with lot is looking like 200k when it is all said and done. 

• Like 1

We only have these in trailer parks around here. I have yet to see someone buy a lot of land and have one built. I think this is because we live in a cooler state maybe? I know it is more common the further south you go, likely due to storms and weather conditions. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You can probably find one of these homes for sale in your area. They are all over the dang place. You will see them listed as "detached" or "not attached" under the foundation type. You can probably set something up to go look at one in person. These houses are not for everyone. 

• Like 1