Is it unhealthy to break one addiction with another?

Damon

Let's say you're an alcoholic and you are supposed to quit. You figure out how to quit, but in turn, you end up replacing your addiction with one to food instead. So you replace alcohol addition with food instead. This can snowball into another addiction that you need to get over. You're not fighting the direct cause of your addiction doing this. If anything, it probably makes it worse. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Damon said:

Let's say you're an alcoholic and you are supposed to quit. You figure out how to quit, but in turn, you end up replacing your addiction with one to food instead. So you replace alcohol addition with food instead. This can snowball into another addiction that you need to get over. You're not fighting the direct cause of your addiction doing this. If anything, it probably makes it worse. 

This is what I do. I know its not the best but there are some feelings in life that sometimes you do not want to give up even though you know they are bad for you. 

I quit smoking tobacco cigarettes over 11 years ago but that got replaced with vaping. I am still a nicotine addict. 

I used to drink a ton of Mt Dew. I replaced this with coffee about 15 years ago. I am still a caffeine addict.

I quit drinking about 6 years ago. I replaced it with marijuana. I felt so much better with this change. Will never go back to drinking but still seek that numb relaxing feeling. 

I used to play a lot of video games. I replaced it with fitness. I now cycle and run during the time I had dedicated to gaming. 

I never really saw addiction as being bad. It is just keeping yourself under control and channeling that addictive personality. It helps me with business and life. I also enjoy to gamble but I have been spending less time in Vegas and spending more time taking risks building something helpful for others. 

We are all human and we all have our "things". 

• Like 1

I agree with James and Ella. You have to take more than the terms into consideration. Swapping out smoking for vaping or alcohol for weed are two examples where the ladder are way healthier choices for the body. They still have health risks but not nearly as bad. 

• Like 1