Have people changed their name to get away from bills?

Carson

I'm mainly asking for interesting stories, not to learn how to get away from debt haha! But seriously, have you heard of anyone who was able to get away from debt by changing their name? I know people have often changed their phone numbers to get away from bill collectors, but what about when that's not possible. Can people actually get away from it from changing their name? 

I doubt it, because I don't think that also changes your social security number or anything. You're just changing your name. I bet the debt continues on under the new name. 

• Like 1

Yeah you can't get a new SS number as far as I know. The only way to obtain one is to be given a fake one (through criminal activity) or to be put in witness protection. I think you can avoid bills by moving but they will eventually get your new address or start harassing relatives. 

• Like 1

I know someone who is in my family (not a close relative) that actually did something like this. He changed his name, moved to a different state, and even got remarried without getting a divorce. The family hadn't heard from him in a long time so we think it caught up with him and he is doing time somewhere. 

• Like 1

I think some people can get away with doing that, but I don't think it changes your SSN. So you're still identified as that person, just with a new name. 

The only way I can see getting away from bills, is to change your phone number, but I'm sure they'll find a way to find your new number. 

• Like 1