Is it unhealthy to be vegan?

Carson

I hear from both sides, that veganism is great and healthy, but I also hear that it's not healthy as humans kind of need meat to survive. But, I don't know what to believe. Is eating nothing but veggies, fruit and any non dairy products. 

I heard that being a vegan can cause malnourishment to come into play. But I also heard that eating nothing but meat could do the same. So really, is it a balance of both the ideal route to take? 

• Like 1

I think being a vegetarian is a healthier option. I don't think it is a good idea to cut out all animal proteins as we have evolved to eat it in our diets. It would take a very long time to undo something like that. I remember reading how 3rd generation vegans are VERY unhealthy people while first generation vegans typically are healthier than the average. 

• Like 1

I think it can be healthy but not for most people. It is one of those things that is great for a temporary diet. Like keto. You do not want to be a vegan or on a keto diet long term as it puts stress on the body and leads to deficiencies. It doesn't matter how careful you are, our bodies adapted to digesting animal proteins but not on large scale. Think about if we had to all hunt and gather like back in the day. We'd be eating meat maybe 3 days a week. That is all we need. I think if people cut on meat and ate less of it, we would see health improve big time in the US and it would be better for the environment as well. 

• Like 1

I have seen people recover from all sorts of medical issues while being on a vegan diet. I think it is a wonderful diet option to allow the body to heal, assuming it is done the right way. A bag of potato chips is considered vegan... Doesn't meant they are healthy! I also don't think it is wise to restrict your body of different types of protein and fat. Not in the long term anyways. I remember reading about diets and a lot of doctors who focus on natural healing seem to agree that the best diet is a pescetarian diet.

• Like 1

I'm no scientist, but I hear that it's kinda 50-50. Some people live long and happy lives as a vegan, but there are some people who can't eat vegan all the time. All I know, is that Joe Rogan brought it up on his podcast once, and had some good thoughts on it. 

What does bug me though, is fast food joints making their own vegan food, or plant based burgers. Big reason why, is because they still add junk to it and in turn make it just as fattening as the real deal. 

If you want to go vegan, go for it. More power to ya! And if you don't want to, then don't. If it makes people happy and they feel good, than awesome! 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...