Ways to burn more calories without exercise?

Mila

I know someone who is trying to lose weight but she HATES exercising and can't stick to it. She has been eating less and has lost some weight but it has stopped coming off which would imply she needs to start burning more calories. What are ways to burn more calories throughout the day without exercising? Like an additional 500 calories a day. 

• Like 1

I think the average 40 minute meal (including clean up) burns around 120 calories. So cooking home-cooked meals is a good way to boost the burn. 

General cleaning burns decent calories too. An example is bathroom cleaning. Scrubbing, wiping, etc. of tile, sinks, and tubs will get you around 100 calories in just 25 minutes. 

If she sits a lot for work, making a change to standing for 40 minutes during work can burn up to 100 calories depending on her weight. 

Fidgeting and moving more adds on extra calories burned. I can't give and estimate for that though because it depends. 

I also read using a stability ball over a standard computer/desk chair burns an additional 40 calories an hour. 

• Like 2

Can your friend incorporate walking? That is low intensity exercise but it adds up quickly. In the end you are going to have to move to burn calories. Scarlett has some great suggestions above to add in more movement while doing standard daily tasks. 

• Like 1

Walking is the easiest way! Parking further away when you go to the store, walking around in the store an extra 10 minutes, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, it all adds up! I think using a calorie burning calculator can help her. I am pretty sure there are some as apps these days too. 

• Like 1

I read that fidgeting throughout the day on a daily basis was enough to lose one pound a week. I am not entirely sure how true this is but adding things like leg wiggling, pacing, finger tapping, and other smaller repetitive movements does burn extra calories. 

• Like 1