How much sunshine do you need for healthy Vitamin D3 levels?

Scarlett

I am having trouble finding a straight answer. Some say 10 to 15 minutes a day without sunscreen is enough while others are saying that is no where near enough. Others say things like location, age, weight, skin color, etc. all factor in. Does someone know the general ballpark range for the body to make adequate vitamin D3? 

There is no such number since there are to many variables of the individual. There are plenty of websites out there that suggest 10 - 30 minutes a day for at least 3 days a week. 

Put on some sunscreen and spend more time outside we used to do it all the time decades ago. It is strange as we learned about sun exposure we started to stay inside more. It almost reminds me of when I am talking about running and people tell me how hard it is on my joints. Like that is a reason not to do something. There have even been studies that show runners joints still work better in old age then people who did nothing. Likely because of the if you do not use it you lose it principal. 

Get outside more is the only message I can think to send people. If you are really worried about your Vitamin D levels you can always pop a vitamin D pill. I remember when my wives Dr prescribed those to her. She suddenly had a heck of a lot of energy. She does not spend very much time outside. 

If you are a healthy weight and a young adult, I would say 10 to 20 minutes every day is ideal. We used to spend more time outdoors than indoors and a lot of skin cancer and other medical issues are actually brought on by deficiencies in vitamin D... The irony! So you want to keep your levels balanced for protection from the sun damage while also not over doing it. Most people can sit outside in the sun for 10 days. If you are on the phone, talk outside. If you are waiting to pick up dinner, wait outside. If you need to go to the store right around the corner, walk instead of driving. Just make little adjustments and you will get enough. 

• Like 1

I think you would have to look at a chart to know for sure. You have to factor in things like you mentioned...

Your age, weight, ethnic background, and where you live. I know dark skinned folks need 4 times the amount of fair skinned people (think Irish). 

I feel like everyone could benefit from getting more sunshine though, even if they aren't D deficient. We all spend WAY too much time indoors and our mental health is declining because of it. 

• Like 1

Just make a point to get your levels tested. Maybe every 3 months? You want to make sure you are getting enough sun for your body. It is too hard to do this based on a guideline. Our bodies may function the same but we have different needs. 

• Like 1