Starting a YouTube channel

Lana

I am thinking of starting a YouTube channel, and I was wondering if it's a good way to make money? I know I won't make anything right off the bat, but I would hope to eventually get popular enough to make a living. Does anyone here make a living through YouTube? 

53 minutes ago, Lana said:

I am thinking of starting a YouTube channel, and I was wondering if it's a good way to make money? I know I won't make anything right off the bat, but I would hope to eventually get popular enough to make a living. Does anyone here make a living through YouTube? 

Not making a living from YouTube yet but we are trying to get it done. 

There are plenty of people that are making a living off of YouTube though so we know it is very possible. 

You just have to be consistent with your publishing and publish quality content. 

We are working two different channels right now and they both get their traffic very differently. One is in the landscaping niche and get a ton of traffic from YouTube search likely because there is not much competition. Then we have a motivational channel and that one is a slow grind in getting exposure because there is so much competition. 

If anything make sure your videos are evergreen content and the should produce views for years to come :). 

I would say getting exposure on YouTube is still definitely cheaper then SEO work for a website. It also seems that once you rank for something on YouTube that holds a little more stable then search results. Likely because its cheaper to publish words then it is to publish video. 

Let us know if you go through with it. We are rooting for you 🙂

If you want to make a living from it, you will really have to invest a lot of time and once you have a growing fanbase, use merch and sponsorship to supplement everything you make. A lot of people don't make enough from YouTube alone. I know someone who has over 200k subs and they make an average of $2,200 a month. That is decent money but not a livable wage if you want a house. This is especially true if you have a car and health insurance. Those alone can cost you over $600 a month. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mila said:

If you want to make a living from it, you will really have to invest a lot of time and once you have a growing fanbase, use merch and sponsorship to supplement everything you make. A lot of people don't make enough from YouTube alone. I know someone who has over 200k subs and they make an average of $2,200 a month. That is decent money but not a livable wage if you want a house. This is especially true if you have a car and health insurance. Those alone can cost you over $600 a month. 

Yes once the audience is there the next step is to roll out merch and sell sponsored deals. It will be hard to live off the ad revenue depending on what tier country your audience is coming from. 

It does take a lot of time. You are playing catch up against the competition. 

• Like 1

I like the concept of having a YouTube channel but you really have to consider everything going on right now in the world and be sure you are 100% about having your voice and face out there. People can be cruel and one thing wrong mentioned anywhere and you can be canceled overnight and have all your hard work flushed down the drain! If you know you won't have issues with that, then I say go for it! It is not easy to be successful on that platform though!

• Like 2

I honestly would skip YouTube, mainly because of how monetization works these days. It takes forever to get anywhere on YouTube, and you aren't always guaranteed money. It can take people years before they start to make real money. 

• Like 2

On 7/1/2021 at 2:04 PM, James said:

Yes once the audience is there the next step is to roll out merch and sell sponsored deals. It will be hard to live off the ad revenue depending on what tier country your audience is coming from. 

It does take a lot of time. You are playing catch up against the competition. 

There are so many big names on there too that some of them started stealing from smaller channels and making videos off their ideas and getting full credit for it. You see this outside of YouTube as well so it shouldn't be a surprise it happens there. Unless you have 200k+ views a video, your voice is rather small in comparison to larger channels. 

To most people who want to start a youtube channel I would advise them to go into thinking they're going to make no money. You do it for the community you can build and for doing something you're passionate about. If you end up making money that's cool, but it should not be your motivation for doing it

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EagleEye said:

To most people who want to start a youtube channel I would advise them to go into thinking they're going to make no money. You do it for the community you can build and for doing something you're passionate about. If you end up making money that's cool, but it should not be your motivation for doing it

I Agree with this and seen people mention it as well. Going into youtube with the intention of making money is a recipe for disappointment

• Like 1

• 1 month later...