Deep breathing and weight loss?

Scarlett

I am curious if anyone here has heard of this. Supposedly, doing certain deep breathing exercises can lead to weight loss. Part of this makes sense. I believe it can and will work if you are not already overeating. If you are maintaining your weight at your current calorie intake, you likely will see weight loss. The concept and science is that you basically breathe out fat in the form of atoms. It is really interesting stuff! This is likely why more intense exercises (ones that make you out of breath) cause the greatest amounts of weight loss over time. 

A Japanese actor, I can't recall his name, claimed that a deep breathing exercise he learned from a doctor to fix his back pain lead to him losing something like 25 pounds really fast. I am not sure I can buy into that but I do think that deep breathing can be helpful for people trying to lose weight. Assuming you aren't overeating that is!

Anyone here hear of this?

• Like 1

I have not heard of this but I do know a little about breathing exercises. 

I would think that by learning breathing exercises you are teaching yourself discipline and that discipline likely starts to roll into other parts of your life. Maybe by taking the time to go through the process it gives the person more time to visualize the results they are looking for which helps drive success. 

So it has to be good for something otherwise we wouldn't have the other forms of breathing exercise like meditation and yoga. 

Overtime I have found that breathing exercises helps me stay centered in my mood and when I am consistent with them I do feel like I have more control. 

• Like 1

I know they help with anxiety and mood. I once did one I followed on a Youtube channel. I can't remember the woman's name but she was great at teaching the process. I actually teared up and I couldn't figure out why. Apparently it happens when you are carrying a lot of stress. I know not everyone is a believer of God or the bible but for me, the breath is life and one of the strongest things to help heal the mind, body, soul, spirit, and heart! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stacey said:

I know they help with anxiety and mood. I once did one I followed on a Youtube channel. I can't remember the woman's name but she was great at teaching the process. I actually teared up and I couldn't figure out why. Apparently it happens when you are carrying a lot of stress. I know not everyone is a believer of God or the bible but for me, the breath is life and one of the strongest things to help heal the mind, body, soul, spirit, and heart! 

I have had this happen during some of my mediations. It is crazy the amount of emotion that can flow through us at one time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James said:

I have had this happen during some of my mediations. It is crazy the amount of emotion that can flow through us at one time. 

For sure! I think it is a really exercise almost everyone can do and it is worth giving it a go. Same with meditation. I think both do wonders for people. I just wish more people gave them a try. 

I remember seeing some video on it on YouTube a couple years ago. It is interesting but because it is just a low-effort thing, I feel like I could easily get side-tracked and not stick with it. I should do some form of deep breathing though, I know it is beneficial for digestion. 

• Like 2

I remember this place my sister used to do yoga at, they advertised a deep breathing class that was meant to detox the body and help people lose weight. Apparently, some people who did this class (it was 3 days a week) did that and nothing else and did lose weight. I think it is a good was to heal the body and jump start weight loss but you won't reach your goal unless you workout and eat right. 

• Like 2

I am glad to see other people heard of it because when I brought it up with people I know irl, they seemed to be dumbfounded! lol

I was researching it a bit more and I am willing to put it to the test to see if it works. I am not very overweight or anything so if I happen to lose weight from it, then I will know there is something to it.