Preventative Medicine; will we ever get to a place where this is practiced in the US?

Ella

I always felt the best medicine was preventative approaches and care. Instead of throwing a pill at something, the doctor will better understand the person as an individual. What they are eating, what they are going wrong, why their body is reacting the way it is and they will work with them to correct the issue through diet, supplementation, and exercise. 

Do you think we will ever get to a point where this is the main practice in the US or is the medical industry too far gone?

• Like 1

If you find the right doctors you can get this here today. It just does not happen everywhere since the people do not like to hear that they need to eat better or exercise more. It is the patient that is also looking for a magical solution. The pharma companies make products to help the patient get what they want out of a pill. The doctors are stuck between the two and I think it is easier to appease all parties then it is to push more common sense solutions. 

I think before things can transition to where we focus on living healthy lifestyles we are going to need to focus on slowing down first. People want things now and do not want to wait or have to put in the effort to get the results. I blame the instant gratification society for things getting so far out of hand. 

A healthy diet, active lifestyle, lots of stretching, and enough sleep is the best medicine for a large majority of issues. The problem is that people need to make sacrifices to achieve this balance that it seems they are just unwilling to make until it is to late. 

There needs to be a cultural change for this to be the norm. People right now get their feelings hurt over everything. A doctor can't even tell an obese woman she is unhealthy without risking backlash. That is the kind of world we live in right now. Science does not matter. Health does not matter. It is all about self pleasure and doing what makes you feel good in the moment, to hell with the long term effects or consequences!

Until that chances, our healthcare system will follow the same old same old.

On 12/10/2021 at 11:17 PM, Sophia said:

There needs to be a cultural change for this to be the norm. People right now get their feelings hurt over everything. A doctor can't even tell an obese woman she is unhealthy without risking backlash. That is the kind of world we live in right now. Science does not matter. Health does not matter. It is all about self pleasure and doing what makes you feel good in the moment, to hell with the long term effects or consequences!

Until that chances, our healthcare system will follow the same old same old.

I agree with this. People don't want to change. They want a shot, or a pill, or some quick fix to make themselves feel better. No one wants to put in the work so they can be healthier when they have an option of popping a few pills to take the pain away. 

There are doctors who do this kind of treatment now, it is just hared to find them in some areas and they may or may not take your insurance which can be a pain in the butt for sure. I like to find old school doctors who will say it like it is. They will tell you that you are fat and need to lose weight or end up on all sorts of medication. If something can be fixed with vitamins, food, or exercise, they will give you recommendations and all prior to giving you a drug.