Small efforts that add up?

Scarlett

I want to prove to a friend that he doesn't need to go to a gym or exercise to lose weight if he just becomes more active throughout the day. The calories burned will add up and it will end up being the same if not better than doing a 30 to 60 minute walk. Do you know of some great small efforts that burn a fair amount of calories that can be done throughout the day? Things like parking the car further away, taking the stairs, etc. 

• Like 1

Well you already mentioned my favorite. Parking in the back of the parking lot. 

I also like to jog in place for 5 minutes when my fitness tracker gives me a move alert. 

Really you just need to find a way to stand and move more and it adds up quickly. 

Watching TV run in place for 5 minutes every hour. Adds up quickly :). 

Something my grandma does all the time can help. She loves to watch TV so when there is a commercial, she will get up and jog in place. They say one of the keys to staying healthy involves not sitting too long. So really, just making sure you are not sitting in place long than 30 minutes without physical activity is a good healthy start.

• Like 1

One of the easiest ways to boost your calories burned is to get your heart rate up randomly throughout the day. My husband is working on this now and it is helping him lose weight. He will run up and down the steps 3 or 4 times, enough to get his heart rate up and then carry on with what he was doing. 

• Like 1

I like to jitter and move about when I am sitting still. You bounce one leg, tap your toes, flex and unflex muscles, etc. anything to get blood flow going. My doctor recommended this to me to help with circulation. He did say it will burn a few extra calories that add up.