Do breeds really make a difference?

Mila

A friend of mine is looking for a purebred cat right now for the sole reason of having a calmer, more affectionate cat. I feel like you can get this from a shelter by adopting a mixed breed but she said she researched it and said it was different. I never had a pure breed cat to know. I know it makes a difference with dogs but a lot of it still comes down to how they are raised. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I can't say for sure, but I am going to assume that some breeds of cats will differ. Some will probably be more affectionate, while others may not be into that at all. Do as much research as you to know what you're getting. 

I think most shelter cats would be fine, but there are breeds that behave differently I'm sure. 

• Like 1

Different breeds have different personalities. 

You are not going to know a cats true personality though until they live with you for awhile. I advocate going with a shelter cat or rescuing a stray cat. That is how our cats have made it into our lives. 

All our cats have ended up looking the same. Think they are tabbies of some kind but they all have very different personalities still. 

There is a higher chance of getting your ideal traits with purebred cats but it is usually only a 50/50 chance. It comes down to how you raise the kitten and how they come into adulthood. A friend of mine adopted an FIV+ cat who was about a year and a half from a rescue and he is the sweetest most loving boy I ever met. He followers her around the house, sleeps in her arms every night like a teddy bear, and adores her. 

I think if you want to know for sure what you are getting, you need to adopt an adult not a kitten. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have only ever owned 2 purebred cats. They were exactly what they said they would be in terms of temperament and personality traits. I think this is the main appeal of adopting them. I think it is better to adopt over shopping but so long as a family or individual adopts as well, I have no issue with it. 

• Like 1