Do you adapt to the people you spend a lot of time with?

EagleEye

If I feel like I need to be a certain way to please other people those are people I will not spend very much time with. I used to try to please people all the time. It was stressful. 

If I read the question a bit differently though do I pick up habits from people that I spend time with or change the way I think. That does happen. As I learn more and more about people and why they do the things they do it typically leads me to a great appreciation in life and sometimes I will adapt some of that into my own mindset. 

• Like 1

My boyfriend calls my a chameleon because I have a habit of doing this without noticing it. I will pick up on other people's laughs, hand gestures, and little things and start doing them myself. A friend I used to see on a weekly basis, I began laughing just like her (she sounds like a monkey when she laughs) and that was when my boyfriend started noticing it. I think this is because I have a desire to make the space around me as comfortable as possible for other people to avoid tension or confrontation. I guess it is like a survival thing for me in a way. 

• Like 1

I think I do in some ways but I have always been the kind of person to change myself a bit to be more inviting, similar to what Stacey said. I don't feel pressured to do it. If I did feel pressure, I would take the same approach as James and not spent times around them very often if at all. 

• Like 1

In some instances yeah. I think you take a lot of things from friends, much like they do from you. I think it's part of what helps fuel our own character and helps us become who we are. I mean, hanging out with anyone will draw you into some of their habits, the way they talk and their humor and more. 

• Like 1