How To Overcome Loneliness After A Break-Up

TopicStarter

Not all relationships are meant to last, but what’s constant is the pain after a break-up.

After a string of unsuccessful relationships, I was devastated when my longest relationship abruptly ended. I felt like I was the most lonely person on earth. I wanted to talk but didn’t have many friends in the first place. 

But, I practiced a few things that kept me afloat. Here are some of the things which helped me deal with loneliness after a break-up:

#1 Make New Friends

If you have always kept a few people close, the loss seems even more severe. Some people even lose out on friends they made through their ex, and after breaking up, there are suddenly fewer people left to talk to. 

Making new friends can really help you to form new connections and get a support group. Join a volunteer team or a hobby class and talk to people; you might end up meeting interesting and like-minded people. 

#2 Accept The Situation

Coming to terms with this new reality is the most challenging part of them all. Suddenly there is so much alone time and nothing to do with it. If you are used to being in relationships, it might be tempting to start a new relationship right away. 

But that might not always be the best solution, especially if your break-up is very recent. 

You can ask for family or friends to help you with new activities or meeting new people. But if they try to introduce a new potential partner, you can politely refuse, saying you aren’t ready yet.

#3 Understand Yourself

Most of us in relationships live our lives around our partner and the relationship. In my relationship, we lived together, had every dinner together, went for special dates on Saturdays. After the break-up, the extra time I had on my hands was overwhelming. 

Yet, I took this time to reevaluate my life and focused on my personal growth. Try hobbies that you always wanted to try or journal thoughts to understand yourself better. 

#4 Talk To A Therapist

Sometimes, you just can’t handle the pain on your own, and the crushing loneliness can interfere with work and everyday tasks. After my ex left, the house started to feel too large and empty. Most of the time, I would find myself reminiscing and going back in the past. 

Still, I was lonely and didn’t have anyone to share these constant thoughts with. Expressing my feelings of deep hopelessness to an online therapist truly helped me get back to living my life.

Have you felt lonely after a breakup? What steps did you take to overcome that feeling?

• Like 1

Some of the loneliest people in the world are surrounded by the biggest numbers. 

I think the feeling you get when a relationship ends has more to do with change than actual loneliness. You get used to that person being around and when they aren't it shifts your entire day and your day to day habits. 

• Like 1

I don't have very many breakups under my belt but the one I did take the hardest, I learned from it. You don't want to just keep trying to figure out where it went wrong. It is not worth putting that much time and energy into something that is not coming back. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 9:40 PM, Sophia said:

I don't have very many breakups under my belt but the one I did take the hardest, I learned from it. You don't want to just keep trying to figure out where it went wrong. It is not worth putting that much time and energy into something that is not coming back. 

I agree! If you harp on things that you could have done differently or wonder about the what ifs and how comes, you will not be able to move past it. That and it will hinder and hurt any future relationship. Just take time to grieve and move on but don't drown in it. 

• Like 1