How much does property tax go up?

Emma

Let's say you buy a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house and want to make it into a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house. 

Would this effect the overall cost of the property tax? If so, how much would it go up? Is there a fixed percentage? I am asking for a friend of mine. 

• Like 1

Property taxes are based off the value of the property. So the land value plus the structures that get built on it. There are no fixed percentages to figure it out as its all based off of current value when an assessment is made. The county likely updates their assessments every 1 - 5 years or during change of ownership. It does seem when property taxes do go up you can expect a 3-6% increase but you really can not budget off that as it really depends on what the local real estate marketing is doing. 

Anything that adds value to the property will cause an increase. Built-in pools, sun rooms, additional living spaces, extra bathrooms, finishing a basement, etc. 

As James said, there is no way to actually track this or know how much it will increase because it depends on your county and district in your state.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 6:41 PM, Sophia said:

I always thought that pools devalue homes? I mean this is what I was told. Unless this is only referring to above ground pools? 

I really do hate property taxes. :classic_angry:

Where we live in Phoenix area I am sure the people buying their personal residences value the pool. 

I do not value pools when I am thinking about investment property but for our personal residence it is nice to have. The house we live in now we said we were not going to buy another home with a pool but then in the end we decided that would be a poor choice. The kids love the pool and it really does help keep them active. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 2:05 PM, James said:

Where we live in Phoenix area I am sure the people buying their personal residences value the pool. 

I do not value pools when I am thinking about investment property but for our personal residence it is nice to have. The house we live in now we said we were not going to buy another home with a pool but then in the end we decided that would be a poor choice. The kids love the pool and it really does help keep them active. 

I am trying to find a house with a pool when I start looking. We get all 4 seasons here so I would only be able to make use of it from June until September but I feel like it is worth it just to have something to do in the summer that keeps me active. I am sure it helps your kids lead a healthier lifestyle. I grew up with one and I know it kept me in shape!

• Like 1