Relearning how to cook, the healthy way!

Emma

I want to get out of the habit of eating prepacked meals and unhealthy sides and start making things from scratch. I am not very good at cooking though! I am trying to compile some easy to follow and make recipes that are healthier meals over all but do not take a long time to make. Anyone have some good suggestions of tasty meals? 

• Like 1

What style of food do you eat? 

Sorry I eyeball things when I cook so I do not have measurements. I just kinda throw stuff together to taste. 

Some quick easy meals we have are:

Egg Roll in a Bowl

Cook up some ground pork. When pork is done add in some shredded cabbage or coleslaw mixed greens. Cook them down until well mixed with the pork. Mix in some soy sauce or liquid aminos to taste. 

If you want to get fancy toss in some sriracha, ginger, and sesame oil.

We like this dish because it is cooked in under 15 minutes and can get away with only using one pan making cleaning up easy. 

Chicken

We eat a ton of chicken in this house. Chicken Thighs are really easy and you can cook them so many different ways. 375 for 45 minutes in the oven from frozen. We typically serve with baked broccoli or asparagus, and rice.  My wife uses the oven when she does chicken I typically use the air fryer instead. When using the air fryer I cook at 360 for 20 minutes then flip and go for 20 more minutes then I sauce up my chicken and do 5 minutes at 400. 

Hopefully that helps a little. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to keep it easy, fast, and simple.. You can't go wrong with white rice. You just have to make sure not to overeat it. You can pair it with any meat or vegetable and it will taste great. You can also do different styles and versions with it to compliment the other parts of your meal. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sophia said:

If you want to keep it easy, fast, and simple.. You can't go wrong with white rice. You just have to make sure not to overeat it. You can pair it with any meat or vegetable and it will taste great. You can also do different styles and versions with it to compliment the other parts of your meal. 

Using a rice cooker will make the rice making process super easy. I love mixing rice, chicken, and some veggies together in a bowl 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 2:28 PM, James said:

Using a rice cooker will make the rice making process super easy. I love mixing rice, chicken, and some veggies together in a bowl 🙂

That goes without saying! I got a rice cooker 10 years ago and I can't live without one now. The rice comes out perfect every single time. The one I have has a steamer on the top as well so I can steam chicken, fish, or vegetables with the rice. I do eggs in it as well. So much easier than doing hard boiled in water. 

• Like 1