Why is making new friends harder the older you get?

Mila

I always thought making friends was easier when you got older because you meet people through work, school, shopping, hobbies, and everything else. It seems like it is a lot harder though. Why is it easier to make friends as a child than it is as an adult? Is this an issue other people have or is it just me?

• Like 1

I think this is because we tend to be set in our ways and very unlikely to change or compromise. Finding someone to fit into your lifestyle can be a struggle because after a certain age, a lot of adults focus on marriage and children. If you do not have either, you end up being a third wheel or a baby sitter. 

• Like 1

I know that as I have aged I seem to screen people that enter my life much more than when I was younger. There are so many things to look out for that you do not want entering your life that I think as we become older we just screen people out faster. 

We are less willing to take that chance on someone new because we know that if the flags go off there is potential bullshit that may take place in the future. 

My wife and I tend to make friends with the parents of the kids our children make friends with. 

You become more selective with your time as you age so you want to spend time with people who really get you. I think this is not uncommon at all. Some people can make friends everywhere they go no matter their age though. They are just gifted socially. I have always struggled making friends so I do not expect it to get easier.

• Like 1

Daily habits, income levels, general desires, hobbies, and family numbers all change as we get older. You will find it easier to make friends when you have children. They will do the heavy lifting for you, believe it or not. Being friends with other parents is beneficial as well. 

• Like 1