Why do people keep returning to "racism" as an excuse?

Sophia

I have noticed for most people who have issues with others, it is not about skin color but about bad culture yet time and time again, they make it as simple and dumb as skin color which never corrects the actual cultural problems. I think we can all admit, especially in the US, there is a thug culture that has caused a lot of issues in many communities but none hurt worse by it than Hispanic and black communities. If we stop blaming everything on skin color, I feel like issues would get solved. 

• Like 1

Real racism is still an issue but I think you are talking about the social push for calling everything racist. I think people are actually hurting those who are truly effected by racism by devaluing the word and what racism really is. The culture thing makes sense though. 

• Like 1

I am not sure I understand the title. I know you likely didn't mean it this way but it comes off as if you are saying racism in general is an excuse. An excuse for what?

For a lot of people, it really is as simple as looking at the color of someone's skin and having a problem with them. It is sad but that is the reality. I agree with what Mila said though in that people calling everything racist when it clearly isn't hurts victims. It is the same as women calling everything rape and sexual harassment, it just hurts the real victims. 

• Like 1

It is just so easy for people to call things racist in this day of age. If you do not agree with someone on some topic that is obviously racist :P. 

I agree with you all that this word is just getting tossed around lightly and the definition is expanding quickly. Just like @Mila and @Scarlett said it is devaluing the word and does nothing but hurt the true victims of racism. 

• Like 1

Many aspects of culture in the US have shifted and for the worse, not just in black communities. I think there is some kind of intent with this though because it makes no sense to promote a culture that is unhealthy for a society unless there is a plan in motion. Maybe I am just paranoid! 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 7:14 PM, James said:

It is just so easy for people to call things racist in this day of age. If you do not agree with someone on some topic that is obviously racist :P. 

I agree with you all that this word is just getting tossed around lightly and the definition is expanding quickly. Just like @Mila and @Scarlett said it is devaluing the word and does nothing but hurt the true victims of racism. 

Exactly. It is the same thing the "Me Too" movement did. It devalued women who were getting sexually abused. It caused more people to not believe women because they were pushing the narrative that ALL women should be believed no matter what. Plenty of women lie about men just to get back at them. 

• Like 1