Is there an easy way to find products not made in China?

Sophia

I want to support the US and other countries. I realized the other day that so much of what I own is/was made in China. I would guess that 80% of what I have in my house is this way. I want to support the US more as well as other countries. It kind of freaks me out how much stuff is made in China these days that is sold in the US, especially knowing they allow slave labor with women, children, and Muslims. 

• Like 1

I am sure there are online sources but it can still be hard. I know for online shopping, people started using "imported" instead of saying the items were made in China. This started 10 years ago but got worse in 2020 because people didn't want to buy products coming from China in the US. 

• Like 1

I have thought so many times about launching a made in the USA store. The problem I keep running into when surveying the public is price elasticity of products. It does seem a lot of people are not willing to spend a little bit more to get an American made product. I also could not think of a way to safely vet these products. 

A lot of products that are made in America lately especially in the RV market (looking at you Indiana) have been crap. They cant keep staff on the manufacturing lines and so many unexperienced people building things. Supply chain and labor are messing up a ton of manufacturing currently which is already driving prices up. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, James said:

I have thought so many times about launching a made in the USA store. The problem I keep running into when surveying the public is price elasticity of products. It does seem a lot of people are not willing to spend a little bit more to get an American made product. I also could not think of a way to safely vet these products. 

A lot of products that are made in America lately especially in the RV market (looking at you Indiana) have been crap. They cant keep staff on the manufacturing lines and so many unexperienced people building things. Supply chain and labor are messing up a ton of manufacturing currently which is already driving prices up. 

I was going to mention this. I see people online and offline going on and on about supporting small businesses and buying American made stuff but then they go and shop at Walmart. Like come on. If you want to support local, American only products then you will have to expect to pay more. It usually isn't much more either. Maybe 2 to 5% more. 

• Like 1

They should make it a law that you have to clearly state both on and offline where the product originated from. I have a lot of moral issues with China right now and I do not want to buy products from that country (the ones you mentioned). It sickens me that greed has made this acceptable in 2021. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stacey said:

They should make it a law that you have to clearly state both on and offline where the product originated from. I have a lot of moral issues with China right now and I do not want to buy products from that country (the ones you mentioned). It sickens me that greed has made this acceptable in 2021. 

There are laws about the claims. I used to manufacture products and our product was "made in the USA". Our lawyers told us that we were unable to make that claim because not all the raw components came from the USA. We I argued it is being "made" here but due to likelihood of confusion we changed the wording to "assembled in the USA".

Around the same time our legal team was talking to us about our "made in the USA" claim the Maglight story was taking place https://www.dailybulletin.com/2017/08/16/congressman-issa-joins-effort-to-get-made-in-usa-label-back-on-ontario-companys-maglite-flashlights/