Is it worth making comments on YouTube?

Mila

A friend of mine wants to get more traffic to her small online shop and she started making YouTube comments with the link to it. I told her a lot of people likely flag those or they never get seen. She disagrees with me. I feel like it isn't worth the time and effort. What are your thoughts on it? Do you think it is worth making comments for backlinking purposes on YouTube?

• Like 1

I have been making comments on YouTube to try to help market our channel. I have never linked back to one of my videos or just pasted the video in the comment as I know if someone would do that to me I would likely just delete the comment myself. 

I stopped posting comments on other videos a couple of weeks ago and noticed zero difference in overall subscriber count. 

I think on social media platforms it is important to engage with the platform and show the platform that you are out there working it but I think the goal should be to just engage with a community similar to what you are promoting and just provide value without selling anything. The same way you would market on reddit or a forum properly. 

Don't comment with links back. It never works out, and usually gets deleted or even reported as spam. So I wouldn't even bother. Commenting is fine, but outright advertising in comments will get your account marked as spam pretty fast I would imagine. 

• Like 1

I think you are better off making videos if anything. I have a friend who runs a forum. Made a YouTube channel to try and get more people onto the forum. One video has over 20k views and his member count continues to grow even now and this was started almost 3 years ago. You link to your site in the description of every video and make use of hashtags on the site. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stacey said:

I think you are better off making videos if anything. I have a friend who runs a forum. Made a YouTube channel to try and get more people onto the forum. One video has over 20k views and his member count continues to grow even now and this was started almost 3 years ago. You link to your site in the description of every video and make use of hashtags on the site. 

I agree, commenting is pretty much useless these days, at least when it comes to getting a link to go anywhere. You're better off making videos like you said and doing your links/hashtags and tagging of profiles and accounts. Stuff like that. 

But yeah, YouTube is a bit tricky, because it's so tough to get anywhere through it. It can take someone years. 

• Like 2

Comments just get buried! I have made comments myself and go back to the videos to not even be able to see them. Sometimes they don't even get posted. I feel like it is pretty pointless these days. It used to work but not anymore. Someone will just end up reporting you for spam or something. 

• Like 2