Apologizing when you know you're not in the wrong?

Stacey

Sometimes, you find yourself in a position where you know you did nothing wrong but the other person feels you did and wants you to apologize. 

Have you ever been put in this position? Do you think it is good to say sorry even if you know or feel you did nothing wrong? 

• Like 1

I was born in Canada so I a say I am sorry all the time :P. 

All kidding aside this is very situational. It is ok to appease people sometimes especially if whatever it is about does not really matter. We can get stubborn as people. I do not like to apologize when I have done nothing wrong but if my apologizing does not make any difference in the grand scheme of things and I can make the current situation go away. I would call that a win. 

Of course if my apology were to set the stage for something I did not want to happen then I would not budge from my point. 

• Haha 1

I can't say I have been in this position but it would depend on who I would be apologizing to and for what. If it was a misunderstanding with a co-worker or boss for example, even if I felt I was not in the wrong, I would apologize just to keep the work space less stressful. 

• Like 1

I think it depends on what it is. I would apologize to people if it was needed, but if it was a big error in a job for example, and the person responsible names me, I will deny it. I will apologize for small things here and there, but if it comes to a point where it's lies, I won't take it. 

But yeah, it depends on what the issue is. 

• Like 1

I am not a prideful person and have no issue with saying sorry even if the other person is in the wrong. This is not exactly a good thing though as it has led me to be a doormat in many friendships and a few relationships. You have to be able to know when it is good to stick to your guns or cave. I think sometimes it is best to just cave in and do it but other times, you have to stand up for yourself.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 1:51 AM, Stacey said:

Sometimes, you find yourself in a position where you know you did nothing wrong but the other person feels you did and wants you to apologize. 

Have you ever been put in this position? Do you think it is good to say sorry even if you know or feel you did nothing wrong? 

Well, i wouldn't apologize if am convinced i did nothing wrong. Instead, i will let the other person understand what my values are and how i would wish things to go. So that we can see things from the same angle. The problem with apologizing is that your make the other party feel that his or her values are more important than yours. 

• Like 1