How To Overcome Sin

TopicStarter

As a human, it is completely natural to have sinned. But, then again, it is not something that you should be proud of. In fact, I bet that there is hardly anyone who has not sinned.  

Not only does sinning divert you from your goals, but the sheer guilt of committing sins can wreck your life. Depression, self-harm, and anxiety are some of the things that you might experience. Therefore, you should always try your best to avoid sinning at any cost. 

You may have sinned a lot in the past, but life gives you the chance to repent and overcome it. That being said, only repenting is not enough; you should try to change your old ways to live a virtuous life. 

Even though it might seem difficult initially, with baby steps, you can make a change in your life. Here are some of my tips on how you can overcome sin. 

#1 Avoid the cause: avoiding temptations will prove helpful to overcome sin; but it requires self-control and discipline. For instance, if you feel certain friends make you gossip, simply avoid them. 

#2 Don’t forget about the consequences: keep reminding yourself of the consequences of sinning. We often forget about the negative long-term consequences of sinning and get carried away by its short-term pleasures. But, always keep in mind that the negative repercussions heavily outweigh the temporary pleasures.  

#3 Build the willpower to overcome sin: you must develop a strong will power to avoid sinning. Keep in mind that it is neither simple nor does it come naturally; you have to make a conscious effort to make it happen. Hence, it requires a significant commitment on your part. 

#4 Practice humility: overcoming sin becomes a lot tougher when you are full of yourself. People full of pride find it difficult to say “sorry” and “thank you”; in fact, they don’t even realize that they are sinning. On the other hand, humility teaches us gratitude, keeps us down to Earth and closer to God.

#5 Don’t give up: don’t be too tough on yourself and understand that although some sins are dealt with easily, it is challenging to change your behavior overnight. That is why you should have patience and never give up! But, above all, make an effort to improve yourself everyday. So, it would be best if you remain grounded and think about the consequences before acting. 

What are some ways  you use to overcome sin? 

• Like 2

Sin is often accompanied by temptation and in most cases a "sin" is a direct action in line of the flesh. When you sin, you are allowing your flesh to have the power and say over your life. Sins are considered to be bad actions for the mind, body or spirit. One example would be to be gluttonous and greedy with food. This will lead you to be overweight and unhealthy. 

For me, I talk to God directly when I am facing temptation and I find ways to take those desires and implement them in a healthy manner into my life.

• Like 1

I think we are hardwired to be drawn to "sin". Not everyone agrees on what sin is or if it even matters but plenty of people know good from bad and bad actions lead to bad consequences. I just use my best judgement and always thing things through, even if it means putting off something I think I want in the moment. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 9:54 PM, TopicStarter said:

As a human, it is completely natural to have sinned. But, then again, it is not something that you should be proud of. In fact, I bet that there is hardly anyone who has not sinned.  

Not only does sinning divert you from your goals, but the sheer guilt of committing sins can wreck your life. Depression, self-harm, and anxiety are some of the things that you might experience. Therefore, you should always try your best to avoid sinning at any cost. 

You may have sinned a lot in the past, but life gives you the chance to repent and overcome it. That being said, only repenting is not enough; you should try to change your old ways to live a virtuous life. 

Even though it might seem difficult initially, with baby steps, you can make a change in your life. Here are some of my tips on how you can overcome sin. 

#1 Avoid the cause: avoiding temptations will prove helpful to overcome sin; but it requires self-control and discipline. For instance, if you feel certain friends make you gossip, simply avoid them. 

#2 Don’t forget about the consequences: keep reminding yourself of the consequences of sinning. We often forget about the negative long-term consequences of sinning and get carried away by its short-term pleasures. But, always keep in mind that the negative repercussions heavily outweigh the temporary pleasures.  

#3 Build the willpower to overcome sin: you must develop a strong will power to avoid sinning. Keep in mind that it is neither simple nor does it come naturally; you have to make a conscious effort to make it happen. Hence, it requires a significant commitment on your part. 

#4 Practice humility: overcoming sin becomes a lot tougher when you are full of yourself. People full of pride find it difficult to say “sorry” and “thank you”; in fact, they don’t even realize that they are sinning. On the other hand, humility teaches us gratitude, keeps us down to Earth and closer to God.

#5 Don’t give up: don’t be too tough on yourself and understand that although some sins are dealt with easily, it is challenging to change your behavior overnight. That is why you should have patience and never give up! But, above all, make an effort to improve yourself everyday. So, it would be best if you remain grounded and think about the consequences before acting. 

What are some ways  you use to overcome sin? 

I love the way you have put it simply. Point #3 is very important and it is most likely the hardest to implement. Building will power takes time and requires discipline and perseverance, but once you make it a habit, one will have good ethics and will easily avoid and steer away from sin or temptations that leads one to sinning. 

• Like 1