Are there foods that help with weight loss or is this a myth?

Sophia

I always hear of "power foods" or "super foods" that are said to help people lose weight. One of the big ones right now is green tea. I know someone who drinks green tea every day, a good 32 ounces of the stuff and while he is losing weight, I think this is more down to him being more active as he started drinking the tea (switched from coffee) months before he started losing weight. 

• Like 1

I really think a lot of it just boils down to marketing and trying to sell people new products. 

The weight loss industry would never want anyone to know its as easy as burning more calories then you consume. That would not help them sell their products and "innovations" to us. 

There is always a new fad, a new power food, a new super food. Things are healthy then they are not depending on the mood of some author. 

Anything in moderation should be fine. 

Green Tea likely is working well because its tea and I think has caffeine which is a bit of an appetite suppressant. 

We know of foods like celery being a negative calorie food due to our body burning calories to digest the high fiber content. 

In the end though anything extreme or fad like will never be sustainable. The key to successful weight loss would be by adapting a healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced die and regular exercise. 

Some foods do require your body to work harder to digest so they end up burning calories but they are few and far in between. It isn't a huge difference either, maybe 50 calories at most. I do know that drinking cold water helps you burn off more calories but again, it isn't a lot. Maybe 10 to 20 calories per full glass. 

• Like 1