How long does it take to form new muscle?

Scarlett

I want to start working out my legs and get them more defined as well as sculpt my rear. I know I need to do exercises for my muscles for this and they need to bulk up a bit. How long does it typically take to form new muscle if you are, say, working those muscles 3 days a week?

No one can say how long it is going to take because its going to depend on the effort during those workouts. I have been cycling 5 days a week for almost 2 years now and have been running since around April of this year. The legs are starting to get some great definition but nothing like those Olympic athletes I see on TV still have years to go. 

Body fat percentage likely also plays a role in how the muscles end up looking so working on lowering that over time is likely a great goal. 

You will start to notice results if coming from not doing anything in a few months but will likely want to keep building on it. 

• Like 1

I would guess for women it takes longer than men because of hormones, diet needs, and whatnot. From what I have read/heard... If you got your diet in order and have enough fat on your body to fuel muscle, you can start noticing results in as little as 6 weeks but any major changes, you won't see for 3 to 6 months. 

• Like 1

Strength wise, you will notice right away. The first thing you will notice is better balance. I remember a few years back when I was on an exercising kick, my balance improved within the first week. I was shocked! I am not sure how long muscle takes to form and be visible to the eye but you will feel it early on.

• Like 1