Anyone else suffer from weight gain in 2020?

Sophia

I unfortunately did! I am a bit ashamed to say what size I am in now but since the start of 2020 up until this point, I have gained 50lbs in total. I first gained about 30 pounds and tried some crash diets and did start to lose weight but it came back a month or so later and brought 10 pounds of friends! I lost a bit again and then it got back up to 50. Now I am struggle to lose any weight at all. I was working prior to COVID and since then I have lost my job (they closed down) and since my husband can support us both, he told me not to worry about working if I don't want to... I feel like that put me in a position to gain weight like I did. I did end up finding work but it was remote/online so I spend most of my days sitting. Between sitting too much and eating out too often, I have set myself up to fail. 

I am working on trying to plan out something to help me lose the weight. Summer is almost here so I can go to my parent's house and swim during the day. I think I will do laps 4 or 5 days a week for exercise but I have to also work on my diet and generally moving more. 

Anyone else struggle since 2020? Have you lose any weight since then? 

• Like 1

2020 turned into my first year of fully consistent exercise and making sure growth was happening at the same time. 

I did notice weight gain in my family though. When the schools closed for Covid my kids were now at home. It is a challenge to get them to get up and be active. The school routine kept them active. Having to walk or ride your bike two and from school, PE, walking between classes, a good structured day. It all just went away in a blink of an eye. 

I tried to dangle carrots in front of my older kids to get them outside to work on themselves but it has been a huge challenge to get them to stay in a consistent routine. As a coach to the kids it's a bit frustrating but at the same time I know it's not something they want to do. I will always continue to push and will never give up on that regardless of how much it annoys them but I worry about their health and well being and want them to grow up to be great contributing members of society. 

They are going to have to want it first in order to add heart raising activity to their normal routines. Things did get better as schools in our area opened back up again late 2020 or early 2021 (dont really remember). 

My oldest child finally fell into an active routine a couple months ago but it was because her friend did so too. So training with your peers seems to be a viable option. Sometimes doing things with others makes the activity easier. I do see a lot of pairs of people when I am out running in the morning and a ton of groups when I go out cycling. 

Have fun swimming this summer. Walking is a great easy way to add activity to your routine too and can be done anytime, anywhere. 

Would love to hear how it went for others in 2020 and how they are combating it in 2021. I know a lot of gyms closed down too and that messed up a lot of people with gym routines. It was a crazy year. 

• Like 1

My husband managed to lose weight in 2020, he is now in the best shape of his life. I would be lying if I said I was not jealous. I had gained some weight but this was prior to 2020. I put on weight during my second pregnancy and never lost all of it. I went from a size 6 to a size 16. I did get down to a size 10 but went back up to a size 14 and that is where I have been for over a year. Since I am not gaining weight, I figured now would be the time to try to lose some. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I did. I gained about 20 pounds. It was horrible for me. I am a very slender, short, small gal so even 5 pounds shows on me. When I gained 20, I went up 3 pant sizes and had a hard time not beating myself up over it. This was because I relied on walking weekly and was stuck at home from lockdown and other restrictions. I ended up getting a treadmill and was able to lose the weight after about 3 months. 

• Like 2

On 5/24/2021 at 4:05 PM, James said:

Have fun swimming this summer. Walking is a great easy way to add activity to your routine too and can be done anytime, anywhere. 

I am looking forward to it. I used to live in the pool growing up. I spent more time in the water than out of it. I miss those days. I feel like I was generally a lot healthier as a kid too because of it. Being in the water and moving is said to burn up to 4 times the calories as well. 

• Like 1

I think everyone gained weight during 2020. Just so many people stuck at home, not able to go to the gym, or even walk out in public in places. Of course, some people found ways to stay fit and eat healthy, so idk if that's an excuse lol. But, I did gain weight in 2020. I was out of a job, and it depressed me pretty good. So I ended up eating more junk than I was used to. I'd say I gained about 20 pounds or so.