If someone in your family committed murder, could you ever forgive them?

Lana

This is a bit of a grim topic, but I am curious to know your thoughts. Lets say you have a family member who murdered someone. And lets say that person did it on purpose and it was widely known. Now, lets say this family member is very close to you, maybe it's a brother, sister, uncle, aunt, or even a parent or grand parent. Would you disown that family member and never see them again? Or would you try to talk with them to get an understanding of why? 

Honestly I don't know what I'd do. If it was a family member I care a lot for, I would question them for sure. I think people expect us to forget about family who does horrible things like this, but if it was someone close to me, I think I would still visit them in prison. Because I know I will still love that person. I just would never be able to trust them fully anymore. 

What are your thoughts on this?

It depends on what happened. If he/she killed someone like a child or someone innocent, then I don't know if I could forgive them. You also have to consider that they may have taken lives, but in the process they've ruined other lives, like the victims parents and his/her own children and family will also be hurt by his/her actions. 

So if someone in my family committed murder, it would have to be for self defense or something along those lines. It would take me a while to forgive them. 

• Like 1

If it was an act of self defense or protection of someone else, then I would absolutely forgive them. If it was out of their own desire to hurt someone, then I can't say I would feel comfortable with it or being around them anymore. I don't really feel like it is my place to forgive the action though unless it directly impacted my life. Like they murdered a friend or partner of mine. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Emma said:

If it was an act of self defense or protection of someone else, then I would absolutely forgive them. If it was out of their own desire to hurt someone, then I can't say I would feel comfortable with it or being around them anymore. I don't really feel like it is my place to forgive the action though unless it directly impacted my life. Like they murdered a friend or partner of mine. 

This right here. I figure if it was in self defense, sure. But if it's something that is intentional, and is to someone innocent, I don't know how I'd react. I imagine I would disown that family member for a while, but I think I would eventually forgive that person. 

I could understand the family of the person never forgiving, because I would do the same if someone killed someone I care about.

• Like 2

This is one of those topics that as a lot of ifs, buts, and coconuts! 

I think Emma is spot on about it being self-defense or doing it to protect someone else. I think most people would be okay with that. It is never good to take a person's life but if your own or someone else's is in danger, it is justifiable. That is why we have laws that protect people in these circumstances. 

That being said... If I know a person in my family killed someone through anger be it a mistake or not, I would certainly never be able to look at them the same again. I can forgive them sure, but they won't be the person I once knew beforehand. 

• Like 1