Does working out in hot weather burn more fat?

Lana

When it comes to working out, does working out in the heat cause you to shed a bit more calories and weight in turn? Or does it not have any effect on how much you burn? I know you'll probably lose more water weight, but could you also lose more weight too? 

• Like 1

While your body is acclimating you will burn more calories trying to stay cool. Once the body is used to it though it will be like anything else. 

I do notice in my workouts on hotter days my heart rate runs just a little bit higher for the same amount of effort and of course I sweat a ton more the warmer it is. 

When working out in hot weather you tend to hydrate a little bit more then average so you do lose a lot of water and depending on how much you are sweating there is huge swings in water weight. 

image.thumb.png.33ca10769ab7b453d21f6bd2c430ff25.png

Looking at my weight graph for the month I can tell when I ride my Peloton inside for longer sessions because my office AC sucks and the temp will quickly climb up to 95. I sweat no where near as much on my runs at a similar heart rate levels at 100 degree weather. I find it very strange. But anytime I do a long ride on the Peloton I can watch that water weight just drop off. 

If you stay hydrated, I believe it does but if you are not drinking enough water, you might see the opposite! Because we tend to sweat a lot when it is hot and we are being physically active, you lose a lot of water and electrolytes. If they are not replaced, your body will go into a state of panic over dehydration and will begin storing more water which will cause the scale to go up, not down. 

• Like 1