What video games are good for aging brains?

Scarlett

My mother's memory is getting worse and I keep telling her she needs to exercise her brain! 

I am trying to find some games she might enjoy that can help with that. App games would probably be the easiest but she does have a computer so PC games are fine too.

• Like 2

I never thought about using an app to help improve memory. It makes sense though because of the repetition. So I went out and did some research here are a few that cell phone apps for memory loss that looked interesting. 

1. Lumosity
2. Fit Brains Trainer
3. CogniFit Brain Fitness
4. Brain Fitness Pro
5. Happify

Hopefully one of these could help fit the bill for your mother's memory. 

• Like 1

There are so many apps these days, I wouldn't even know what to recommend for that. In terms of PC games though... I think anything that has a focus on creativity is good for the brain. So think things like Minecraft or the Sims. A lot of women, even middle-aged and seniors enjoy both of these. 

• Like 2

I'd recommend brain teasers and other such things. As well, any mobile apps that require some kind of thought process to figure out. I second Lumosity, it's great! I would also recommend Mind Games. It's available on android and apple. I think both games are. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 8:27 PM, Stacey said:

There are so many apps these days, I wouldn't even know what to recommend for that. In terms of PC games though... I think anything that has a focus on creativity is good for the brain. So think things like Minecraft or the Sims. A lot of women, even middle-aged and seniors enjoy both of these. 

Someone I know got their mother playing the Sims and she has actually improved her memory from it. The doctor was impressed. I heard using active Switch games is good too because you have to actually move around with the game. 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 1:03 PM, Mila said:

Someone I know got their mother playing the Sims and she has actually improved her memory from it. The doctor was impressed. I heard using active Switch games is good too because you have to actually move around with the game. 

I somewhat remember stories being posted all over in the US about care homes for seniors implimenting Wii consoles with the activity games into them to help with memory and exercise and a lot of them really enjoyed it. I am hoping they do something like this. Like make games and maybe even an easy to use console aimed at helping older folks with memory issues.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 7:32 PM, Stacey said:

I somewhat remember stories being posted all over in the US about care homes for seniors implimenting Wii consoles with the activity games into them to help with memory and exercise and a lot of them really enjoyed it. I am hoping they do something like this. Like make games and maybe even an easy to use console aimed at helping older folks with memory issues.

I remember this! We have a care center not to far from where I live and when I went there with a friend to visit her grandmother, they did have a few of them in the community area with some TVs. I love that!

• Like 2