Is rollerblading bad for your joints?

Mila

Someone I was talking to in the store the other day mentioned this as I had said I was going to meet up with a few friends. He goes "enjoy it now because it will mess up your knees when you get older!". I never heard of such a thing. I mean unless you are actually falling on your knees, how does rollerblading give you issues in your joints? 

• Like 1

I think this is only the case if you are falling on your knees or you are doing stunts/tricks. Standard rollerblading is actually more beneficial for your knees than just walking! I have an aunt who started rollerblading to ease her arthritis pain in her knees and it helps! Her doctor told her to do it. 

• Like 1

I would think much like @Scarlett that it would be a lower impact activity for most people. Of course if you start doing tricks and stunts then that can all change pretty quick. 

You here this about running too. Depending on the lens you put on it seems anything can be turned into an excuse not to do something. Running destroys our joints according to studies. Then you read other studies that runners joints in old age work better then joints of people who did not run their full life. So I say use those joints. If you do not use it you lose it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James said:

I would think much like @Scarlett that it would be a lower impact activity for most people. Of course if you start doing tricks and stunts then that can all change pretty quick. 

You here this about running too. Depending on the lens you put on it seems anything can be turned into an excuse not to do something. Running destroys our joints according to studies. Then you read other studies that runners joints in old age work better then joints of people who did not run their full life. So I say use those joints. If you do not use it you lose it. 

I think the running thing is down to the body adjusting to the movement and if you stop running, the damages set in because the body sees no reason to keep repair going. I read some theories on this with runners and athletes after they retire. That is when their joint health goes to crap!

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 6:46 PM, James said:

Yup! If you are just doing standard movements on a flat surface and wear protective gear, you have little to worry about in terms of damages or injuries. Not sure why some people thing it is bad for your joints otherwise! 

• Like 1