I need to learn to cook more!

Mila

I don't know much about cooking. I know how to make certain things but I want to be able to widen the amount of meals I can make. I just don't know where to start. Are there some easier recipes for beginners to do? I feel like if I knew how to make more things, I would eat way less processed stuff and way less fast food. 

• Like 2

Same! I grew up not being taught to cook anything. When I have kids, I want to make sure they learn how to cook with me but I need to learn myself! I only know how to make simple things like eggs, rice, mashed potatoes... I need to learn how to actually put together meals and not rely on instant sides and whatnot. 

• Like 1

I had to cook for the family as both my parents worked when I was growing up and they expected dinner when they got home. So on the days I was not working I would pitch in and get cooking. 

Here are some super easy things to start with. 

-Eggs

There are so many different ways to cook eggs it is extremely simple to do. In a bind make scrambled eggs and you can add a ton of other stuff in. Mix together your eggs and heavy cream. Then add whatever else you want and dump it all in a pan and move around until they are no long slimy looking. 

-Pasta

Pasta is simple. Easy meal to add meat too and is affordable. Just boil up the water and add your noodles. In 8 - 12 minutes they will be done. Cook up some ground beef or chicken slices to mix into a red sauce and dump that on your noodles that are done. 

The two above items are the first things I taught my kids how to cook. 

Some other tools that can make life really easy on you. 

Buy a crock pot! You just throw in everything you need when you leave the house in the morning and put it on low. Your dinner will be ready when you get home. 

Get an air fryer. I love ours. Every sunday I use it to quickly cook chicken. 

If you like steaks get yourself a Sous Vide cooker. I never cook steaks any other way anymore. I finish them off one minute each side on a hot BBQ. 

• Like 1

My life will never be the same without my rice cooker! I think everyone should invest in one of those. I have one where you can steam meats and veg on top while rice is cooking. It is super easy to throw together healthy meals and it only takes like 25 minutes. There is even an auto timer on the thing! 

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat. I grew up sheltered and due to that, didn't know how to do a lot of basic things. Cooking is still something I am quite awful at. I get by, but I am by no means cooking 5 star meals for the family or friends. I mainly cook for myself, and if I have to feed anyone else, I just buy fast food or go to a restaurant instead.  

• Like 1

Cooking can be a lot of fun and easy once you learn your stove/oven and adapt to your own methods. 

It took me awhile to learn new things. I would always make the same 10 things I knew how to make but as I branched out more, I started cooking all sorts!

• Like 1