Vitamin C deficiency, is it more common than it should be?

Scarlett

I noticed a growing issue with hair loss, skin disorders, immune disorders, tooth decay, and vision issues among adults in the US. I feel like the standard American diet is mostly to blame for this. They call it SAD for a reason! Looking at what vitamin C does for the body and what some of the signs may be for a deficiency, it seems like it is way more common these days than it should be. Do you think this is the case? 

• Like 2

Likely boils down to all the crap us Americans eat. In 2020 we had just passed 40% obesity rate. With numbers like those I can see where these other problems are coming from because the people that are consuming the products to get themselves to obesity likely are not very heavy in a vitamin C. 

All these problems are so much more common then they should be and it's a huge problem. If the trend continues we should start to see life expectancy numbers start to trend downwards. Consuming an unhealthy diet also makes it harder to deal with viruses that come around. 

I think that becoming slaves to the corporation and work life balance may be a contributing cause but then again people just seem to be way more lazy then they used to be and seem to just want to consume media and do nothing else. 

I do not know how to fix the trend on the macro scale. Its not that people do not have enough time to eat right they just choose not to. Or sometimes they do not have enough money to eat properly since healthy food is much more expensive. 

It can also have to do with the food companies making their food so perfectly that it triggers responses in our brains faster to get us that fix. There have been plenty of people that could quit smoking but cant stop eating Oreos. Why do you think Philip Morris had so many packaged foods under their umbrella years ago (Kraft, Kellogg, ect). They know they are selling addictive products and no one sees them as the evils that they see the tobacco companies as. It is strange...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, James said:

life expectancy numbers start to trend downwards.

They started to go down already! I read that the life expectancy for an American today is 70 and just 50 years ago, it was 85. What the hell happened? It seems like the horrible diet and lazy lifestyles are hurting us more than we are aware of! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stacey said:

They started to go down already! I read that the life expectancy for an American today is 70 and just 50 years ago, it was 85. What the hell happened? It seems like the horrible diet and lazy lifestyles are hurting us more than we are aware of! 

It is unreal and that has to be it. Medicine has gotten better over time so with life expectancy trending downwards it has to boil down to lifestyle. I know I have trouble getting my own kids moving :(. I lead by example and they have watched my journey and transformation from 300lbs down to where I am today. They see what happens when you sit behind a computer for 12 hours a day grinding out life. I also know people have to want to change to make a change. 

I do not know how to fix the trend and its one of those things that provides a small amount of stress and something I can not really control. I do love when sedentary people tell me I should consult a medical professional before doing things like running a marathon. It's like maybe you should visit a medical professional before not moving for so long. 

Hopefully the community can continue to grow and spread positive messaging. I want to see the trend move back in the other direction. 

• Like 1

Doesn't a Vitamin C deficiency = Scurvy? I mean I never hear of people having that unless that is like the long term effect of not having any, rather than having lower amounts than you should. I don't completely understand vitamins. I just know Vitamin C is something you need daily because it is not stored in the body and you can't OD on it, even in pill form. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 2:51 PM, James said:

It is unreal and that has to be it. Medicine has gotten better over time so with life expectancy trending downwards it has to boil down to lifestyle. I know I have trouble getting my own kids moving :(. I lead by example and they have watched my journey and transformation from 300lbs down to where I am today. They see what happens when you sit behind a computer for 12 hours a day grinding out life. I also know people have to want to change to make a change. 

I do not know how to fix the trend and its one of those things that provides a small amount of stress and something I can not really control. I do love when sedentary people tell me I should consult a medical professional before doing things like running a marathon. It's like maybe you should visit a medical professional before not moving for so long. 

Hopefully the community can continue to grow and spread positive messaging. I want to see the trend move back in the other direction. 

I think people being more family oriented helps. I mean these days people are so much about themselves it is unreal. Most of my friends don't even want to have kids let alone get married. I feel like if you have a family and focus on keeping things healthy and leading by example, as your kids get older they mimic it and thank you for it later in life. I have a friend I grew up with who's father owned a gym. His healthy habits mixed with her mom's home-cooking and never eating out lead her to never have a weight or health issue. Her mom was always active as well and she would go on walks with her every morning before school. It was nuts cause she would be getting up at 5:30 in the morning to walk with her but it was their bonding time during the school year and she enjoyed it.

• Like 1