Is losing 40 pounds in 6 months a realistic goal?

Sophia

A lot of things I read online say that losing around 1 pounds a week is realistic and anything more than that is not healthy. I see this stuff and then I also see people losing 2 or more pounds a week without issue. This weightloss would be about 1.6 pounds a week which is more than 1 pound but still under 2. Is this a realistic goal anyone can achieve?  

Yes I think this is realistic and I do not think it is unhealthy. I didn't quite make it 40lbs here but check out the image. 

image.png.004e62a13d51d703a899c0e4fe470311.png

Jan 1 2020 - 228 lbs

Jun 1 2020 - 194 lbs

Oct 1 2020 - 176 lbs

I did this via healthy eating and exercise. Can not lose weight any more naturally then that 🙂

• Like 1

It should be fine. I know some doctors have told me losing weight too fast can be bad, but 40 pounds in 6 months is not bad at all. It was suggested to me, that losing 2 pounds a week is a good way to go. It's a lot safer and you'll gradually will lose the weight. I takes time as well, so rushing isn't always a good idea. 

• Like 2

I think a lot of weight loss depends on the size you start at. For someone who is 400 pounds, they could easily lose 5 or more pounds a week with simple diet changes and light exercise where as someone who is 200 pounds would need to put in more effort and likely wouldn't lose that much. With that being said, I would base your weight loss on your age, gender, and BMI more than what is recommended. The standard is 2 pounds or less a week though so you will be fine with this goal! 

• Like 1

I think a lot of people get stuck in this part of the weight loss. Planning and preparing, or imagining how much they're going to lose. There is no rush, even if you lose 0.1 pounds, that's still 0.1 pounds lighter than you were before 🙂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mila said:

I think a lot of weight loss depends on the size you start at. For someone who is 400 pounds, they could easily lose 5 or more pounds a week with simple diet changes and light exercise where as someone who is 200 pounds would need to put in more effort and likely wouldn't lose that much. With that being said, I would base your weight loss on your age, gender, and BMI more than what is recommended. The standard is 2 pounds or less a week though so you will be fine with this goal! 

This is very true. 

I should add since this low in October of 2020 my weight has been between 171 - 179. I ping ping pong in this range. So yeah when you are starting from a place of being overweight it is really easy. 

What I realized was the first motivation to be healthier was weight and after that was done it quickly became about performance and seeing how far I could push myself. 

• Like 1

40 pounds in 6 months is totally doable. 6 months gives you a lot of time. There's no need to rush or force yourself to lose that much in a fast period of time. Just take it slow, and go at your own pace, that's what I do. 

But yeah, 40 pounds in that time, is safe and I wish you luck on getting to your goal weight. Speaking of, what is your goal weight? 

• Like 1