Should I invest in housing now, or wait?

Lana

That is only a question you can answer based off your financial goals. 

The last house I purchased was in Dec of 2020 and after that for me things seemed to be getting very expensive. I of course watch for new property every day still because you never know when you will be able to find a deal. 

No one can time the market regardless of what they tell you. There will always be people that buy at the top. If you are holding on to the property for 10+ years it likely will not matter if there is a crash in value as things that go down eventually come back up. There will always be waves of ups and downs in the markets because the market is controlled by people buying and selling. 

Price is also one of those relative things. Are home prices going up or is the value of our money going down? Is it because interest rates being so low help people afford more then they really can? There are just to many unknowns. 

If the deal feels good to you then it is good for you. 

I know that did not answer the question but I constantly get the other side of the question about the right time to sell. People are always trying to time things to the highs and lows and it just is not possible to do over the long run. You just have to do what you need to do when it feels right. 

If you can afford to do it, then go for it! Owning your own home is a great feeling and knowing you have your own private place on this planet to just do as you please it refreshing. My sister recently bought her first home with her fiance. He said the first night he is going butt-naked for the evening and he did just that! The market is always going to go up and down, prices will go high, then low... I don't think it is something you wait for. If you are ready to own a home, go for it!

• Like 1

So long as you have stable income and can afford it, take a look at your options. The worst case scenario is you hate it and end up selling the house a year later. If you want to hold onto the property, you can contact a rental company. They will rent it out for you and handle all the messy work. You get a cut of the income and your house gets paid off. 

• Like 1

Totally upto you and your risk intake. Me personally I wouldn't *invest* in housing, I would buy a house for myself, but I wouldn't invest in it for the future. But that is based solely on my lack of wanting to take a risk and the real estate market where I live

• Like 1