Is it normal to not trust your own family?

Scarlett

I have a lot of people in my family that lie and I have caught them in lies so it has been a long time since I trusted any of them. I know they don't lie all the time but I can't ever bring myself to take their word for anything anymore. Is it normal to not trust your own family or is this an issue that is few and far in between? 

If someone loses your trust they lose it. 

Trust is not unconditional like love. I will always love my children regardless of what they do. I made them it is an amazing thing how that works. Trust is gained over time though and can be lost in an instant. There are plenty of family members that I have had come around that I do not trust. 

There are periods of time where I do not trust my own children. 

So I think this is normal. People have to earn trust and if they mess that up it is fair not to trust them anymore. 

I don't trust my own mother so there is that! I don't hold any hard feelings or hate her over it, I just know better than to trust her with financial or other personal information because she has a need to tell everyone everyone else's business. I think trust is something that needs to be worked in daily and once it is gone, it takes a lot to bring it back. 

• Like 1

Just because someone is part of your family, it doesn't excuse them of mishandling your trust with them. I think some people think this is the case, like no matter what someone does you hear the "but they are family!". I was very close to a cousin I had growing up who stabbed me in the bad and was a horrible friend to me on several occasions. I couldn't forgive her and carry on so I cut her from my life. I still hear the "but she's family!" from several people in my family and I said yeah, family doesn't treat you like dirt! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, i it normal. Families are made up of individuals with differnet interests, therefore, some of them amy naturually be untrustworth. You should trade careufully with such familly members. Don't give out too much inforamtion, even if you feel you need a family members' advice. 

• Like 1