How to build muscle/work on fitness when pain is an issue?

Stacey

I know a lot of people are motivated and far from lazy but what if pain severely hinders your ability to actually complete even basic workouts? 

My brother is trying to build some muscle and lose a bit of weight but he has bad knees and a back issue. This makes it a lot harder to actually stick to something long enough to see results. How can someone overcome pain and see progress? 

Pain can be an issue from a lack of movement, vitamin deficiencies, illness, or injury. I think you should see someone about the pain who is experienced with this kind of issue. I would go to a chiropractor and see what the issue is. Don't try to work through the pain because if it is an injury (like a slipped disk for example) it can make the problem worse!

It really depends on the pain. Some pain can be worked through and other pain can be a real problem. 

I do not really know what to tell these people when I talk to them because I do believe so much of it is mental or can be overcome if put into perspective. 

Pain is just like anything else we are able to build a tolerance to it with consistent exposure. Over time something that was once painful can become not painful. 

If we live by the thought process of David Goggin's pain is temporary. He says to power through but he will go until he gets taken away on a stretcher. Then again anyone has the ability to do this it's just how far we can push the mind. This comes with practice and exposure. 

In my experience, lack of mobility (pain with exercising or general movements) is a result of lack of mobility! I know that sounds silly but the human body is designed to move and it functions best when it is moving as much as possible every day! Instead of focusing on working out, just tell him to make daily changes slowly. Start by sitting less. Invest in a standing desk. Walk more when you go to the store and choose to use the steps over the elevator. Once the body is more used to moving, the pain will ease off and he can continue to add more movements in. 

• Like 1