Should everything be taxed?

These days, there seems to be taxes on just about everything. From the products we buy, to the land we own, etc. But, should we be paying all of these taxes? I know with food, it isn't taxed, but anything else you buy is taxed. 

Is there anything else you think that should be taxed? 

I oppose all taxes. Government has proven time and time again that they can not efficiently manage money. Anytime a new tax is on the ballot its a instant no vote as I know once a new tax is in the next thing they do is raise the tax. How often do we get to see taxes go down? 

What is interesting is "we" are the ones that put these taxes in place via electing the officials we put into office. 

If you want to keep up to date on new taxes and taxes in general Americans for Tax Reform is a great organization out there fighting the good fight. We have worked with them a couple times fighting taxes since the ecommerce project I run is in an evolving regulatory framework and government is still trying to understand how to make money off it. 

If government was more transparent with their spending and where all this tax money was going maybe I would feel better about it. They just seem to be so wasteful and do not run good organizations. 

• Like 1

If the government is not giving anything to you back (Such as free healthcare), what exactly are you paying taxes for? Some European countries pay high taxes but basically have no cost other than their rent and personal expenses.

Whereas countries like America charge high taxes on individuals, let large companies avoid taxes, and still charge exorbitant amounts for health care

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/15/2021 at 2:59 PM, James said:

I oppose all taxes. Government has proven time and time again that they can not efficiently manage money. Anytime a new tax is on the ballot its a instant no vote as I know once a new tax is in the next thing they do is raise the tax. How often do we get to see taxes go down? 

What is interesting is "we" are the ones that put these taxes in place via electing the officials we put into office. 

If you want to keep up to date on new taxes and taxes in general Americans for Tax Reform is a great organization out there fighting the good fight. We have worked with them a couple times fighting taxes since the ecommerce project I run is in an evolving regulatory framework and government is still trying to understand how to make money off it. 

If government was more transparent with their spending and where all this tax money was going maybe I would feel better about it. They just seem to be so wasteful and do not run good organizations. 

I am late to this thread but I agree. Taxation is theft and the government does nothing but use our money to fund their own BS that does little to nothing for the country. I feel like the only people who should be paying taxes are super elite wealthy people who have excess amounts of wealth. You shouldn't be taxed if you are earning under 10 million a year. I am fine with paying state taxes to fund the police wages and firemen wages. I get those taxes but the US government needs to piss off already. 

Edited by Mila
  • Like 1

State taxes are fine. I think on a state level, we should be taxed because it supports out local police, public schools, repair of public spaces, and so on. I am full against federal taxation though. I feel like that is robbery at this point. Every since the federal reserve got involved in, what was it? 1913? Things have just gotten worse and worse with money. 

• Like 2

I think there should only be income tax.

I feel like export/import tax is unnecessary because whoever is importing items is going to sell it and then can be taxed on that income instead.
Having only income tax would also simplify things a lot for people. Just pay a certain percentage of your income.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 9:01 AM, Yonder said:

I think there should only be income tax.

I feel like export/import tax is unnecessary because whoever is importing items is going to sell it and then can be taxed on that income instead.
Having only income tax would also simplify things a lot for people. Just pay a certain percentage of your income.

Would sure make a flat rate tax system easy. 

I would enjoy taxes a bit more if there was more transparency about what was going on with the money but the people in charge have shown time and time again they can not manage the funds well at all. Government is extremely inefficient likely because the people in charge use the funds to fund their friends and families dreams via granting contracts and other ways of moving money around. 

It is our cash and it is amazing so much of it ends up in general funds or gets invested into things that the populus does not want. 

On 10/12/2021 at 1:25 AM, James said:

Would sure make a flat rate tax system easy. 

I would enjoy taxes a bit more if there was more transparency about what was going on with the money but the people in charge have shown time and time again they can not manage the funds well at all. Government is extremely inefficient likely because the people in charge use the funds to fund their friends and families dreams via granting contracts and other ways of moving money around. 

It is our cash and it is amazing so much of it ends up in general funds or gets invested into things that the populus does not want. 

I think especially since tax is at state level now this should be totally doable. 

Government should be able to disclose total amount of tax earnt, and where that spending is going in the next/previous year.

• Like 1