If you were cheated on, would you ever forgive that person?

Justin89

Let's say you were cheated on by a girlfriend, boyfriend or spouse. Would you ever forgive someone for cheating on you? I personally wouldn't be able to stay with someone who decided to cheat on me, simply because I know it would likely happen again. I say, if you ever decide you want to cheat on me, and actually do it, break up with me instead of prolonging the inevitable. I don't want to ever stay with a cheater and I will never give them another chance. I know too well how cheating goes. It's happened to me before, and I won't deal with it again. 

I also know many family and friends who also dealt with a cheating bf or gf. And everytime they would get back together, the cheating would continue. 

• Like 1

No that is an unforgivable act. 

I would not be able to forgive or trust my wife again once that line has been crossed. I would think it is the same thought for her. 

Much like employer once you no longer trust someone they no longer have a place on your team. Otherwise you will spend so much time worrying about it that you will not get anything productive done again. 

Most of the time people do not change so once a cheater always a cheater and that is just the way it is. Plenty of fish in the sea to be had instead of dealing with punishment like that constantly. 

I know others that have forgiven but over time it seems it is still lingering there. 

Nope. I would try and I have but I know it never works out. Once my trust is broken with a person, I can't ever look past it. Cheating is just something that gets under my skin so much that it actually causes me to be physically repulsed by the person over time. 

• Like 1

From experience, I know I would not be able to forgive them and maintain a relationship of any kind with them. In order to forgive someone from something like this, I would have to end the relationship and spend enough time away from them for it to stop hurting and then I can work on forgiving them but I can't let them be a part of my life anymore. 

• Like 1

I was cheated on by my first boyfriend. I stayed with him. He cheated on me a few more times with different girls. I still stayed with him. It was not until he broke up with me did things end. I like to give people second, third, forth, fifth chances and then I just end up becoming a doormat. I am a forgiving person but I know in this sense of the word, I am too forgiving. 

I dated a guy who cheated on me on three separate occasions. The first time my friend witnessed it, and informed me. I didn't believe it at first. The second time I caught him texting a girl, and caught a glimpse of what I thought was a nude picture of a woman. I couldn't get his phone, but I swear that's what I saw. The 3rd time, I actually saw him kissing a girl he worked with right before he got off his shift at McDonalds. I broke up with him right there. 

4 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I was cheated on by my first boyfriend. I stayed with him. He cheated on me a few more times with different girls. I still stayed with him. It was not until he broke up with me did things end. I like to give people second, third, forth, fifth chances and then I just end up becoming a doormat. I am a forgiving person but I know in this sense of the word, I am too forgiving. 

Don't blame yourself. Sometimes we get stuck. My mom was in an abusive relationship, and she stuck with him for years. Oddly enough, she left him when she caught him cheating. Either way, I think sometimes we feel we can change someone to be better, but that's not always the case. 

Edited by Carson
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 2:43 PM, Carson said:

Don't blame yourself. Sometimes we get stuck. My mom was in an abusive relationship, and she stuck with him for years. Oddly enough, she left him when she caught him cheating. Either way, I think sometimes we feel we can change someone to be better, but that's not always the case. 

I guess I like to see the good in people and I believe everyone can change. It was a hard lesson to learn. I think back on it and I believe I stayed more out of convenience than love or trust. I was comfortable with him. 

• Like 1