Debating on getting a dog!

Mila

I have been wanting an excuse or more a less something to hold me accountable to doing daily walks because I know how good they are for the body. A friend of mine suggested adopting a dog. I really considered a puppy at first but the training and cost upfront can be a bit of a hassle, plus I wouldn't be able to walk a puppy very much in the beginning. So I am considering going to a local pet shelter and adopting a new friend who can go on walks with me. Has anyone had help sticking to a walking schedule through the help of a furry companion? 

• Like 1

Dogs are fun to go on walks with. I know I feel better when my oldest daughter or wife are going out on a walk alone if they take the dog. So the dog makes great security too. 

Just remember long term pet costs can get steep so it may interfere with some larger goals you may have. Taking care of a furry friend is very rewarding. 

If it gets you back outside and makes you feel safe it does sound like it can be a great win. 

• Like 1

Yeah you want to think this through. While it can be great to adopt a dog now, what about in 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? The average lifespan of a mixed breed dog is 15 years old. That is a chunk of your life. Be sure you are financially prepared for it and you can make plans around owning a dog before you adopt!  

• Like 1

I hope that if you do decide, you find an amazing companion at a shelter. Be sure to make sure you test walk any dog you consider. Some dogs are just terrible at walking and it may give you issues. No matter what you decide, like mentioned above, be 100% sure about it. 

• Like 1