Trying to pay old medical debt... How do I go about this?

Ella

I owe a hospital around 9k from 6 or so years ago when we had no insurance and I had an emergency. I have no way of finding out how to pay my debt. I tried the hospital and they said while it is on your medical record, the billing information has been wiped and I would have to contact the bank that took over the debt. I tried this and the bank seemingly does not exist anymore. So what now?

Now I would go through the process of removing the item from your credit report. 

You will need to write letters to the credit reporting agencies asking them to remove the negative mark. You may be able to make this all go away if the bank that owned the debt no longer exists hopefully things just got lost in the shuffle and the debt can be forgiven. 

You can read all about disputing items on your credit report here: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/disputing-errors-your-credit-reports

• Like 1

If there is no way of contacting the bank to pay them, there is nothing you can do. You can't just give the hospital the money once it gets turned over. They already got a portion of the money you owed them and the collection's agency (the bank that closed on you) was meant to collect the rest. I think James is right, you need to just get the negative mark off your records. 

• Like 1

If the hospital no longer has the bills, they likely put this in the hands of a debt collector. They are likely calling you often trying to get that money. Just call the debt collectors that are calling and you should be able to pay that way. 

Most of the time, when a hospital or other places have an outstanding fee that needs to be paid, they will ship the bill off to a debt collector to bug you about it. They still want the money, it just has to go through a debt collector first. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I did try to get in touch with the "debt collector" but that is the issue I am having. The bank that was issued to collect the debt just doesn't exist anymore and the hospital can't take my money directly. So i guess I will try contracting credit report agencies. Seems like my only option right now.

• Like 1