Can you sell items based on someone else's work?

Stacey

I have a friend who wants to make Nintendo and Anime inspired products. Mostly soap, charms, and key chains. She doesn't know what is and is not allowed though. If she is making it herself, can she sell the likeness of a licensed character or would she get in trouble? 

On 12/23/2021 at 7:02 PM, Emma said:

This might help: https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html

The short of it is, it is best to ask for permission but not always required. Very few companies will go down the route of suing someone who runs a small business online but they may request you to stop making and selling your items. 

I agree with this. It is a very odd think. Like you can easily go on etsy and sell all sorts of items under different brand owned designs. One example is Pokemon. I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble over it either. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 8:30 PM, Mila said:

I agree with this. It is a very odd think. Like you can easily go on etsy and sell all sorts of items under different brand owned designs. One example is Pokemon. I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble over it either. 

Exactly. Sometimes it isn't a big issue and other times it is. It would not surprise me though if Nintendo started going after people on Etsy in the future. They already go after people who draw their own work to sell on tshirts, mugs, ect.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 8:08 PM, Emma said:

Exactly. Sometimes it isn't a big issue and other times it is. It would not surprise me though if Nintendo started going after people on Etsy in the future. They already go after people who draw their own work to sell on tshirts, mugs, ect.

I saw a meme not too long about making fun of Nintendo over this. You are right though. It would not surprise me either. Some companies are very greedy.