How to make new friends as an adult?

Sophia

I struggled to make friends most of my life and only ever had a few close ones. As the years went on, we grew apart or I decided they were too toxic to be around to I cut them from my life. I am at a point in my life where my only actual friend (outside of online friends) is my husband and while I am okay with that, I still think I should have some kind of friend or friends outside of just him. I just struggle with socializing with people I don't know.

How can I go about making new friends as an adult?

You just need to get out there and meet people. 

I typically find I make friends with the people at the office when I am spending a lot of time there. Seems natural since you get to know people really well when you spend so much time with them. 

My wife also brings new people into our lives. Sometimes we click and sometimes we do not have them around any longer. 

Our kids when they meet new kids we are feel the need to meet the parents. This is our most common method of making friends now as many parents want to understand other parents. Most of the time since kids like to hang out with other kids their age the parents already have something in common for great ice breaker conversation. 

I have also made lasting connections at the conferences I attend. 

I am hardly ever seeking friends. I feel like the wife, kids, and some long time team members turned friends are enough. I always like to have my ear to the ground though and am never opposed to getting to meet new people. 

Hopefully some of the above can help out a bit. 

What are other methods people use to make new friends as an adult? 

• Like 1

Why not try and meet a married couple? I find it easier to socialize with other couples myself. You tend to have more in common and you can plan to do gal things why the guys do their thing. It also helps when children are involved. Just a thought! 

• Like 2

I hear about this all the time and understand how intimidating it can be. It is easier when we are younger because we are in school and meet friends that way. It is harder to connect with people at work because some jobs require you to be more busy and after work gatherings are not as easily planned. I wish I could give some advice for you on this but I really don't know. Maybe you or your husband works with someone who is also married and you can set up a couples date? 

I think there are apps for this very thing but I am not sure if I would trust them, I am sure there are some great people just looking for friendship but all the weirdos take advantage of the ease of use of social apps these days. 

• Like 1