How much should people spend on gifts when in debt?

Emma

Every year millions of people who struggle with debt at guilted into buying gifts for friends and family. No matter the level of debt, so many people put even more debt on themselves for the sake of the "holiday spirit" but it seems to push the stress on them. 

I feel like people spend too much on gifts every year. How much do you think people should be spending on gifts? 

• Like 1

In our family to combat this we do secret santa with a $60 gift limit. That way you only need to get one gift instead of buying gifts for everyone in the crowd. We have been doing it this way with my parents, my brothers family, and my own. Works out great!

People should not be putting themselves in a bad financial spot to give to others. 

If you're in really bad debt, please consider saving the money instead. Family and friends will understand if you don't gift them anything. You shouldn't have to worry about giving gifts and money if you can barely afford to live. This is why when I get money from any family, I instead save the money and return it back to them. 

When I was tight on money, I let my family and friends know. They were not bothered by it and still wanted me to be part of everything. I offered to buy some food and things like that to bring instead of gifts for everyone. You should never feel pressured to spend money by anyone, friend or family. If you are struggling with income and can't afford it, don't do it!