Could the US do universal/free for all health care?

Quinten

Do you think one day we could see the US giving all Americans universal health care at no cost? Universal or free for all health care is something I would love to see happen for the US, especially since right now, the cost of medications and doctor visits is crazy pricey. I wish that we as citizens could be good to see doctors whenever we need them, and aren't charged for doing so. Even if you caused the injury yourself. We all deserve to be helped if we are hurt, cured if we have a disease and so on. 

• Like 1

No such thing as free. 

Someone will have to pay for it. I sure hope the government does not take over healthcare as they run things way worse then a private company that needs to make profit for shareholders would. 

I do have family that lives up in Canada and here strange things from time to time about shortages of supplies, long wait times, and some surgeries the family still chooses to come down to the USA to get the procedure. 

If our leaders wanted to provide us USA citizens with more affordable health care they would open up cross border competition. So insurance companies could compete in multiple states. More competition would bring down prices and increase innovation. 

Anyone in the United States right now will not be denied medical care if they walk into any public hospital weather they can afford it or not. The safety net is already in place there is no need to make it larger. 

As an employer of people it is insane how much the insurance rates for team has gone up over the last 5 years. We have seen double digit % increases YoY for the last 5 years in a row. 

Government has trouble in everything else they do. I do not think they would be able to handle managing the health system. 

I don't know well enough on health insurance or medical costs. But as long as we can get the help we need when we need it, that's all that really matters. If they have to charge me tons of money, well sorry to say I probably won't be able to pay it. 

I think if we're just billed for the work we have done, then so be it. I'll pay what I can, when I can. 

I'm not rich, I don't have a lot to my name, so all you can really do, is get the care you need and deal with the bills later. 

• Like 1

There is no way to have free healthcare, someone will have to pay for it. Period. The reason places have "free health care" is because people are taxed accordingly. If we were to  scale that up enough to cover everyone, with all their medical bills and debts, we would end up paying more per individual than we do for simply paying for insurance if we choose to have it. I pay $165 a month right now. That is affordable. Most people can afford health insurance, they are just choosing to spend their money on other things.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Scarlett said:

There is no way to have free healthcare, someone will have to pay for it. Period. The reason places have "free health care" is because people are taxed accordingly. If we were to  scale that up enough to cover everyone, with all their medical bills and debts, we would end up paying more per individual than we do for simply paying for insurance if we choose to have it. I pay $165 a month right now. That is affordable. Most people can afford health insurance, they are just choosing to spend their money on other things.

Wish my bill was $165 a month. My family of 6 for a high deductible medical plan, dental, vision is almost $1500 a month. That is more than a mortgage in a lot of places of this country. Of course it is my fault for having so many kids :P. Although the price of insurance does not change for me after the second child so it does scale well. I am self employed so do not really have an employer to help shoulder some of the cost. 

• Like 1

I am technically low income, so most things are covered for me, but I know once you start to make real good money, you pretty much have to start paying. I suppose when we make more, it goes up more. But maybe that's acceptable, because when you can afford it, why shouldn't you not pay for it? If you're making a lot of money and can afford to that is. 

idk, I think things are way too pricey. 

I pay $189 a month. I get insurance through an employer who covers a good chunk of the cost otherwise I would be paying something like $400 a month. I think it helps a lot to have a good coverage plan through a business but for a lot of people, they have to pay out of pocket and it is usually $300+ per person in your family. Women still tend to cost more as well because of maternity care. 

I don't think we can get to a point where free coverage is logical. There are too many people in this country. I think focusing on people taking better care of themselves in the first place is valuable. Maybe teaching children about proper nutrition, calories, etc. and focusing more on them wanting to make healthy choices from a young age.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 2:17 PM, James said:

Wish my bill was $165 a month. My family of 6 for a high deductible medical plan, dental, vision is almost $1500 a month. That is more than a mortgage in a lot of places of this country. Of course it is my fault for having so many kids :P. Although the price of insurance does not change for me after the second child so it does scale well. I am self employed so do not really have an employer to help shoulder some of the cost. 

That it something that should be changed. You should not be paying THAT much simply because your are self employed. I looked into what I get, if I were married, it would be $300 and if I were to have one kid, $400 - two kids $500 - three kids $600 and that is the max. That is still a lot but I guess they factor in risks and things. I know a friend of mine who pays $400 just for themselves but if he were to get married, he would be paying $100 less because of some kind of "burden" thing. Like since you are married, you are considered to be less of a burden on hospitals as you have someone who will help care for you. 

Edited by Scarlett

• 2 weeks later...

I think certain things should be free for everyone because it is a biological process. Pregnancy and childbirth should be free. Care for children up to the age of 5 should also be free. I know someone will have to eat the cost of it and they always push it back on us... But considered those vaccine companies made billions off COVID, they can cover the cost for us! lol